Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yep, it was rust. Or so I thought. Not sure. What now?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I just read about the Bore Coat. Pretty cool stuff. Pricey, though!

I may not have time to go to the range for the 20 curing shots until after the season, so I think I'll clean it, JB it and keep it oiled to see how it does, then plan on doing the bore coat after the season. That is, unless I have some bad corrosion issues. Hopefully I can get all the rust out though.
They recommend using JB Bore paste in the barrel first to remove all lead/copper traces.

Pricey? Not anymore! They have a kit coming out here very shortly that comes with the Bore coat and Gun Shield for only $25. Its enough to do one complete rifle. Both products work excellent.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I have a blued Omega and have to shoot it fouled for the best groups too. I left mine for 3 weeks (including my hunting season) dirty. I know exactly what you are talking about with the brown and I believe that is powder residue, NOT rust. When I cleaned mine, it all came out without any problems.

I don't own any pretty guns, I buy them to shoot and/or hunt with. They are a tool as you mentioned. I do take very good care of them all and always clean after shooting except for right before hunting. I will leave the barrel fouled. If I get a little surface rust, I don't worry about it. It will take longer then 2 weeks for the rust to form and do real damage. I don't think you had anything to worry about.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I have a blued Omega and have to shoot it fouled for the best groups too. I left mine for 3 weeks (including my hunting season) dirty. I know exactly what you are talking about with the brown and I believe that is powder residue, NOT rust. When I cleaned mine, it all came out without any problems.

I don't own any pretty guns, I buy them to shoot and/or hunt with. They are a tool as you mentioned. I do take very good care of them all and always clean after shooting except for right before hunting. I will leave the barrel fouled. If I get a little surface rust, I don't worry about it. It will take longer then 2 weeks for the rust to form and do real damage. I don't think you had anything to worry about.
I have a blued Omega too. I think what I am seeing is rust. I:

-ran a very wet patch of Gunzilla down the bore and let is soak for 10 minutes
-ran a copper brush down the bore a few times
-ran two dry patches
-soaked the bore in foaming bore cleaner for an hour
-ran two dry patches
-ran another wet patch of Gunzilla and let it soak overnight
-ran two dry patches this morning
-ran one more wet patch of Gunzilla to let soak while at work today

This morning, I could still see the brownish stains in the muzzle and on the lands. I think it it was fouling, it would be gone by now.

Also, before I cleaned the barrel, the fouling inside looked whitish. I have never seen that before, and it doesn't look that way right after shooting.

But you are probably right. I probably freaked out and now I think I regret it. I will try to get to the range before opening day but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

But you are probably right. I probably freaked out and now I think I regret it. I will try to get to the range before opening day but I don't think it's gonna happen.

You mentioned that you are getting a 3 1/2 group on a clean barrel. Do you have any drastic changes with POI? If your POI is the same general area on a clean barrel verse fouled, I think a 3 1/2 inch group is plenty good to get a deer. I'm like you, like to have the tightest group I can but for hunting I wouldn't sweat it if your POI is close if you can't get to shoot it. Good luck hunting!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
You mentioned that you are getting a 3 1/2 group on a clean barrel. Do you have any drastic changes with POI? If your POI is the same general area on a clean barrel verse fouled, I think a 3 1/2 inch group is plenty good to get a deer. I'm like you, like to have the tightest group I can but for hunting I wouldn't sweat it if your POI is close if you can't get to shoot it. Good luck hunting!
Check out the range report I posted here: http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...nd-barnes.html

Ironic, huh?

Shot 1 on the clean barrel was perfect and I thought I was going to have an amazing day at the range. It's shot 2 that really worries me, though it seemed to be a "flyer". I did my part on all shots though...no flinching or premature discharge.

I made some minor scope adjustments in that session, which shouldn't be an issue. Last ML target was the orange one, POA 1 had no scope adjustments made since the beginning of shooting, and POA 2 had some adjustments made (last two shots scope wasn't touched). A little higher than POA 1. All that to say I have not shot my gun with clean barrel since making those adjustments, but since the POIs on both POAs are so close, it should be okay.

I guess I will just have to be a lot more picky with my shots, and probably pass on anything over 100 yards. I really like the idea of the throat patch shot if it is the best one presented, but I don't think I can take it now.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, very long story short, I have been using BH209 in my T/C Omega from the very first time I shot it about 3 weeks or so ago, and I have taken it to the range a total of 3 times to get it ready for hunting season (Oct 30). I cleaned it thoroughly after shooting the first 2 times. The third time, this past Saturday, I did NOT clean it, and have been anguishing over the question, "To clean, or not to clean?"

Here's why: In a nutshell, with a clean barrel fouled with two primer shots, my gun was shooting 3.5 inch groups or so at 100 yards. Not acceptable. Over time and with no swabbing, the groups shrank a little, and then suddenly, around shot 20, the groups suddenly shrank to an inch, perfectly acceptable. Given that was the last chance I'd have to go to the range before the season, I didn't want to lose that accuracy by cleaning the gun. But I didn't want my gun to rust, either!

Okay, BH209 is supposed to be non-corrosive and non-hydroscopic (specifically says so on the site), though I was advised by a few here to go ahead and clean anyway. With all of my centerfire guns/rifles, I always keep the actions clean but never clean the barrels unless 1) accuracy deteriorates or 2) humidity/rain/snow during shooting or hunting dictates that they should be cleaned. NONE of my barrels exhibit anything that could be remotely considered rust. Given that I keep hearing that BH209 is smokeless powder in disguise, I decided NOT to clean in favor of keeping an accurate weapon.

Well, today is day 4 since visiting the range. I cracked out the Omega and took a peak down the muzzle. There seemed to be a brownish colored ring at the very top of the muzzle. Further examination with a flashlight revealed a few brownish specks in the bore (further down the muzzle but before the rifling). The lands appeared to have the same brownish color to them. I wet a patch in solvent and put it over my finger just to rub the very inside tip of the muzzle and the patch came out brownish, and the ring in the bore was still very much intact. Scrubbed a little bit with a brush and it was still there. So, I decided it must be rust, and now have it soaking in solvent.

The thing is, when I brought the first two patches through, they were just black. No brown whatsoever. But I still see traces of the ring and spots, and the lands still seem brownish. Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to what things looked like immediately after shooting and my paranoia has set in. Could it be anything but rust? I suppose it doesn't matter, because the thing is being cleaned regardless.

I don't know how confident I'm going to be on opening day. I'm wondering if I should even go, but I know I will. The thing is, once the groups tightened up, I did some minor scope adjustments. Meaning, I don't know approximately the first POI will be vs POA in a clean barrel.

The thing that makes me sad is that I freaked out tonight and cleaned the gun, regardless of whether it was rust or not. I valued the tool more than the entire reason I have the tool. TO HUNT.
I mentioned in our last PM that I would'nt trust what the Manufacture says about BH209 being non corrosive.....I know how you feel about not knowing where your going to hit on a Clean Barrel, you just have to know to be Confident where your gonna hit.
Not being able to go back to the Range to know where your gonna hit if it has to be on a Clean Barrel Sucks, I'd have to go to be sure or I would'nt be able to pull the Trigger.
I dont know why you have to shoot so many times to get the Ml to shoot tight groups with a fouled bore? As I also mentioned I'd try a different sabot bullet combo, or lighten or increase the Powder to get that Omega's groups a little tighter, there's no reason you should'nt be getting 1 1/2" groups at 100yds.
As for having your ML sighted in on a Fouled Bore and knowing where your gonna hit and avoiding Rust, Im Baffled on how to do it if you cant get somewhere befor you Hunt or inbetween.
I use My ML with a Fouled Bore for a few Days and If I dont Harvest a Deer, I'll shoot it, Clean it, then reshoot it, check it and Hunt again. But I also have the advantage to walk out My Door and Blast away and do this all in My Backyard, or at one of the Farms I hunt during Mid Day. I just have to know where Im going to Hit, no excuses.
I even tried for a experemint firing off a bunch of 209 Primers through My ML insted of firing it with a bullet and Powder to see if the 209 fouling would be as good as the Powder Bullet Combo's fouling and it was'nt to far off from being pretty darn close, mabey try that route.
But to me it seems as if your Omega's Bore has to be really lose for your Sabot Bullet Combo to need so many shots for it to tighten up. Again, a diferent Sabot, bullet or powder combo, something has to work to tighten up them groups without having to shoot it so many times.
Good Luck and hope you get this figured out.
(BP)