Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

old bow to low of poundage?

Old 02-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Default old bow to low of poundage?

Okay I have a pse that I purchased about three or so years ago at the congressional bow shoot. I have the nova, its pounded all the way up and is only about 35-42 pounds, dont know the specifics. I have alot of stuff with it, sights quiver, limb savers, string leaches, and a tru noche. I was wondering if that there was anything I could buy to pound it up alot and would that be sufficent for deer. Oh yeah and Im not gonna buy a new bow because they dont have the congressional bow shoot any more which I could get them for $100. I just want to make this one work, please give me some advice on: how to make it shoot faster and father, how to practice better, and just general info on will I be able to kill a deer and how far away, etc.
Thanks so much
ps I shoot some carbon tech arrows and am only 14!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Default RE: old bow to low of poundage?

Will someone move this post to a better topic for me, it appears no one knows in this young guns thing.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:27 PM

You may be able to purchase new limbs directly from PSE in order to increase the draw weight. Try contacting PSE or ask someone at your local pro shop. Other than that there really isn't anything you can do other than increase your draw length (which won't do too much) to increase the poundage.

On another note, 40lbs. is enough to take a whitetail with as long as your shot placement is good, you're using cut-on-contact syle broadheads, and your shot placement is good. Many women and younger archers successfuly take animals every year with 40lb bows.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Is it to low for you or is the poundage to low to hunt deer, because I hunt
deer with a 42lb poundage bow. But where we hunt you can't get a shot farther
than 40 yards because it is so thick.I use 100gr Muzzy 3 blade.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:02 PM

No, I just want more speed and a little more range. I guess Im trying to make up for the poor hunter, but there have to be things that I can do to get more feet per second of of my bow!
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM

If all you're looking for is more speed then there are a few things you can do to increase it.

1. Shoot a lighter arrow.
2. Use a tube-less peep.
3. Stay away from putting too much on your string.
4. Shoot feathers instead of vanes.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:42 PM

you might want to put it on ebay and use that money to buy a used one.

or you could learn some true respect for the world of hunting and try useing that bow. i killed my first deer with a 45 pound bow that was slower then hell. pasted up tons of shots around 15-20 yards waiting for something in the 10 yard range, had a 140-160 class 12 point 20 yards away but wouldn't come closer. then i finally took a real nice 6 point after 2 years of bow hunting. last year i finally saved up enough and got a new hoyt and boy what a difference! man if i had this thing it bothers me to think of how many deer i could have gotten. but if i had to do it all again i would do it the same way, it was worth it. not only did it make me a better hunter but it also allowed me to see lots of neat stuff that i might never have.

they have leaches to but on your string that add some speed "like 2 fps per one"
lighter arrows
85 gr cut on contact broadheads
find a range you can hit where you want every time and still have good speed
the less noise your bow makes the less you will worry about speed.
hunt from a tree stand
use sents and calls
SCOUT
be patent and have fun
Old 02-07-2005, 04:51 PM

What about an overdraw? Would that help, what is it?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM

it holds the rest closer to you so your arrows don't have to be as long. so you have less arrow to go through to get full penatration. and i am not 100% sure but i think it made my bow a little faster but i would have to check to tell you for sure
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mrwake

What about an overdraw? Would that help, what is it?
An overdraw would help. Yes.

An overdraw allows you to shoot a shorter arrow while maintaining your actual draw length. Before going with an overdraw though you should really go to your local pro shop and see what they can do to help you out.

Quick Reply: old bow to low of poundage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.