Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

any black bear hunter out?.......if not tell me a huntin story

Old 01-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Default any black bear hunter out?.......if not tell me a huntin story

tell me your hunting story i wanna hear it
Old 01-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: any black bear hunter out?.......if not tell me a huntin story

i started black-bear hunting with my family three years ago.. and heres the story of my first bear

i hunt strictly with a bow, have never taken a gun in the woods with the intent to hunt with it... we have a pretty large black bear population in this part of new york and they usually cause quite a hassel to the lesser-known idiots of our town.. the bears have little to no fear of people and will take an ice cream cone out of your hand (including your hand in some cases around here)... hunting these bears can be a real problem because they have no problem showing aggression toward humans but i took a shot, coming from a very Native American family at black bear hunting.

we left the usual time, just before dawn on a fall morning going to a place where the bears are known to den... we didn't see anything for most of the day but just before 4pm we heard some rustling and heavy stomping around us... we immediately took action (and cover lol) and began to try to figure out which direction he was coming from.. he was coming directly east of us and heading straight for us... i took up my arrow in my bow and waited for him to turn broadside... he did (because of a stone we threw) and i took my shot which looked too high... i quickly knocked another arrow and let it fly again, this time a little lower... he fell about 15 yards away and never got up.. he was my first bear, but not my last and bear hunting to me is much more fun than deer hunting
Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 PM

Default RE: any black bear hunter out?.......if not tell me a huntin story

we went out this year, for our super-long three day season. on monday we wlked most of the day b/c we got lost. Tuesday we went out to some places we had chosen monday. on the way, we saw some bear tracks and followed them when they dissappeared into one of our great clearcuts, we picked spots to sit. i sat on a hill over-looking a beaver pond dam which is one of the only escape routes for them, unless they want to swim. my dad sat on a game trail bout 100yds to my left. bout 9:00 i saw a black object in the corner of my eye, running away on the game trail. it got into the clearcut, and i couldnt get a shot at it, my dad never saw it. bout an hour later, i saw another black speck run up over the hill on the other side of the hill, on the pond. then bout 11:00 i was sittin there with my .270 on my lap. all of the sudden a bear came out bustin a** over the dam. i got my gun up and clicked off the safety. i started to swing through on it, and just as i was about to pull the trigger, it dissappeared into the woods on the other side of the beaver dam. i was pi**sed. anyways, we went in after them, to see if any more were left. we were walking along and 100yds in front of us we could hear snapping trees, and we were seeing tracks. we never saw it again. that was the extent of my hunt. we didnt go out wed, b/c my dad had to go pick up my sis