Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Animal Rescues 911

Old 10-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Animal Rescues 911

Ok i know that sound cheesy but if it got you to look at this then it worked lol. I was looking at another topic about strays and it made me wonder about this question. Have you have rescued an animal? It could just be saving an bug from drowning or getting an dog out of a house on fire but i am curious who all has and the story behind it. I do have one story that i like to share since its only fair.

This was awhile ago when i was about 20 (just before i moved up to Montana) I was living on the not so great side of town with an roommate (friend of mine). We lived behind another house but shared the same yard. The people in front of us had several dogs, all pitbulls and when they moved, they left one pregant pit behind. I do recall one time when i was talking to them about her because she was actually an stray that they "adopted". It was several days after they moved and left this poor dog by herself. There was an opening to underneat the house and she came out now then. After an few weeks and several attempts to get the pound to come and get her, I noticed she wasn't around anymore so i didnt think anything of it. Some new people moved in who were really nice. One time when i was talking to the guy (it was an engaged couple) he said that he kept hearing barking and whinning from below the house and sure enough, the next day i saw her and she was really really skinny and didn't look like she was going to live much longer if someone didn't help her. My friend and me thought up an idea to catch her and it worked. When the animal control finally came by, they took her and tried to lure the puppies out but didnt work so they gave up (that made me mad) I knew if the puppies were going to die from something or another (found out later the mom wasn't producing enough milk because of her health) so i was going to do something about it myself. The house itself had that opening i mentioned earlier but it was only about foot and half tall (from ground to the floor of the house) and many many support beans close together (of course lol). I stuck my head in there with an flashlight and was able to make out little eyes and bodies running around. I counted about 9 but in truth there were about 12! I crawled underneat that house for almost two hours chasing the puppies but finally was able to catch them. They were really sick as well. I got an hold of animal control again to have them pick up them up (my truck wasn't running at that time) but they were too "busy" and would have to pick them up tomorrow. So they spent the night at our house and sad to say, one died durning the night. Next day A. Control came and got them. Several weeks later after my truck was up and running, we went to the pound to check up on them; I found out that all the puppies and mom had to be put down because of health reasons. Although i was mad about that, i was glad that i was able to at least get them out of the streets, and at most, keeping them from dying more slowely.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Animal Rescues 911

though i ahve never help anything realy like that i bieleve it is better for them to be put down then to have them starve or worse.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Animal Rescues 911

I saved a chipmunk from my cousin's cat when I was about 7. I was visiting my cousin's in Circlevill, Ohio. while they were at school I was walking throught the woods and the yard. I heard some thing squealing, and I saw that darn cat was trying to eat something. I figured that it was just a mouse, but I walked up to the cat and I saw he was trying to kill a chipmunk. I kicked that cat so hard he was coughing up blood (the cat did not die but later we found out that it had rabies so it was put down). The chipmunk was half alive. I picked him up and nursed him back to health. 2 hours later he was ready to back out side.