Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Those going to college...

Old 10-20-2004, 04:32 AM

Default Those going to college...

Hey guys, I'm going to give you some advice, not as your mother would, but as somebody whose been there and wishing I would have had somebody giving me this advice. I have a Bachelor of Science in Resource Conservation, double major with Political Science, minor Native American Studies, University of Montana.

1. Go into a field you love. Your classes will be more pleasant, and your grades will reflect it.

2. Pay for as much of it as you can, borrow as little as possible. Your loan repayments can force you out of your field and into a job you don't like just to pay your bills.

3. Wait until after graduation to get married and have kids.

4. Be careful what your Major is. Ask yourself what kind of money you can make in your field. Remember, your priorities in life change very quickly.

5. What degree do you need? Alot of poeple get a 4 year B.S. in Wildlife Biology only to find out that can't get to far with this degree. You will need at least a Masters degree to get coveted jobs in wildlife management, psycology etc.

6. Get job expierence. A degree alone wont cut it in the real world, you'll need some related work history as well.

7. Realize your place. Today, college degrees are relatively common. Having a degree will not automatically give you a good job. Make sure your a well rounded individual with work history, community involvement etc., and don't think your degree entitles you to start at the top, it doesn't and you won't.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 AM

Default RE: Those going to college...

College isn't for everyone, you have to want to go. Don't allow your parents or guidance counsellor pressure you into it. Out of my grad class out of 25 students 16 went on to further their education. Only 5 of us are sticking it out. Myself and past classmate are the only 2 students who are goin to finish our degrees on time, not flunking or switching colleges, majors etc. I am going to have 2 degrees before others have completed 1. Its work ethic, i was about 7th in academics in my class but made up for it with my habits. You know where those 6 folks ahead of me are? Unclassified or quit completely. So make sure its what ya want otherwise it alot of wasted money.