Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

help

Old 07-18-2004, 04:05 PM

Default help

I'm 12 years old and this is my first year hunting. I need some tips and pointers to help me get started.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:26 PM

Default RE: help

First off, what exactely are you planning on hunting?
Old 07-18-2004, 09:25 PM

My dad put me in for a cow elk and I got it. So that is my first hunt this year. I will also be hunting whitetail deer.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

fist thin is to practice shooting a lot, scout for sign where your gonna hunt and familiarize youself with the area if possible, and look forward to the hunt. also setting up a list of things you need will be a good idea too.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:46 AM

Thanks. BUt I am still loking for more. That is good advise.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:28 PM

i never hunted moose yet for whitetails this is what i would do. yet i don't know what the land your hunting or what you plan on useing to hunt deer "rifle/bow/shotgun"

hunting thick woods
a good place to start looking for deer are near water sources and food source (i.e-acorns, streams, swamps) once you find the food the deer are eating you then have to figure out how they are getting to it. so a good way to figure this out is to find deer trails that look like they are in use. these will be wider and will have plenty of deer dropings. so after you figured these two things out you will want to figure out where you want your stand. weither it is a fallen tree/stump/or base of a tree these will all work well yet the best way is from a tree stand about 15-20 feet off the ground you don't want to be to close to the trails though i would stay a good 50 yards away unless your hunting with a bow. ANOTHER good place to hunt deer is from the top of a hollor(sp??)

open feilds
the way i hunt these are by finding where the deer bed and set up my stand about half way inbetween the feild and the beding areas. OR i hunt close to the feild and wait for deer to come out.

still hunting
this is a skill which is very hard to master. it can only be used when the weather is perfect. the best way is to go out after a rain fall or a snow storm and work you way threw the woods heading up wind NEVER downwind. you must move very slow. by this i mean you put one foot down look around.. put the other foot down look around etc etc etc many times if you move slow enough deer will not notice. i normally will look around after every step for about 10-15 secs. then i take the next step and look after i cover about 15 yards i will stop and look for about 2 mins. you could walk a whole woodlot off this way. another good way to do this is after you walk 100 yards you sit sit for 30 mins get up go another 100 yards step look step look and sit for 30 mins.

these are some of many ways to hunt deer yet it would be much easier if you could tell me/us what kind of land you will be hunting and what are you going to be hunting with

hope this helps some
Old 07-19-2004, 04:09 PM

Ny rifle is a 7mm08 if that helps you at all

\
Old 07-19-2004, 08:44 PM

Find what ammo your gun likes best...i tink 7mm-08 shells normally come in 140 grain, correct me if im wrong...Make sure you test Hornady...20 bucks a box but the things are worth their weight gold...especially the Interbond...remington, federal, winchester, try them all. learn how to dress a deer. get your knife sharp. if you must, get a pair of rubber gloves[X(] get a saw to cut the pelvis bone. you probably already have this stuff. gosh i dont know what else to post.i could go on and on foreover but im really tired hot and hungry..maybe later?

slayer
Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 PM

Practice, practice, practice! Make sure you're only going to have to take one shot at the animal you're after and make sure that one shot is going to be lethal. I would hate to see you wound your first animal and either lose it or have to watch it suffer.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:01 PM

Yeah me to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.