Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

New bow

Old 02-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bow

I am really looking for speed. The browning rage has 290 fps. I might get that one. My dad used to shoot a mathews to. He was a true mathews guy until he shot a bowtech. The bowtech is a really good bow. The best ones are the liberty, the patriot, and the midy might. They dont make good ones for kids.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:12 PM

Hey PSE, who says Bowtech doesn't make good bows for kids? The Blackhawk, Ladyhawke, and Rascal are all bows made for younger shooters or women. And they all work well too. I shot my deer last year and all but about 4" of fletching was a passthrough and it pulled out soon after it started running. I shot it with a Bowtech Stalker-Lite (discontinued) with the Rascal cams, ladyhawke, and Blackhawk cams. The mini BT cams. It spit them arrows right out and did their job! I think your best bet would be the Blackhawk. If you need any help setting it up and tuning, I'm here to help. I have a Bowtech Patriot as my hunting bow.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot several bows, dont settle on what someone tells you to.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:48 AM

Couldn't agree more hunter9022!!!!!!!! Make sure the dang grip is comfortable before you spend ANY money on a new bow. I know guys that have went out and bought a bow just because it was touted as "the fastest bow on the market". Then they get it home but it doesn't fit their palm properly. As far as the Matthews Mustang... I'm not sure either if it's adjustable. Either way, it won't adjust any more than about 3 inches... if you're planning on growing more than three inches, it's best IMO to get something just a tad cheaper, something you won't outgrow too quickly. Myself, I love my Matthews. But I also love my recurves and I really enjoy shooting my Jennings Air Master. The Jennings just "feels right", if you know what I mean.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the black hawk is a really good bow. I just thought ther was better. I dont think i will get the alpine any more. It is between the mustang, the rage, and the black hawk now. I might get the black hawk with the bigger cam. It shoots 300 some feet per second. Pretty good bow for a kid. I diddnt know they sold bows with an option of different cams. My dad is buying the patriot with the those bigger cams. The bigger the cam the more speed.[&:]
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

you dont need and expensive bow....... its the person behind it
Old 02-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say shoot whatever you are most comfortable with.

I myself shoot an Hoyt ZR and its a great bow for me. I haven't had any regrets yet (aside from breaking arrows)
Old 02-22-2004, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: pse-archer

My dad is buying the patriot with the those bigger cams. The bigger the cam the more speed. [&:]
It's called a Liberty, and it shoots 305 IBO.... still fast, but the duallys and the Infinity cam bows are faster.

You really can't go wrong with a Bowtech. They're great bows, the best I've ever shot. Martin also makes some great bows. Look at the Phantom II and the Jaguar Magnum. Both bows will get the job done. You dont need speed, just a sharp cut on contact broadhead!

timba
Old 02-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

my dad just got a bowtech and he loves it. [&:]