Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Audad Hunting.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Audad Hunting.

Well I went out Audad hunting yesterday and didn't get squat, my friend however was a lot more fortunate than me. My dad and I were sitting on a ledge overlooking the canyon bottoms and the shelfs. My dad had slipped around the edge of the canyon to check out the draw that was back behind us and came runnin back to me and told me to hurry up a big ram had just come over the hill. I grabbed my rifle and the shooting stick and we made our way back around, by that time he had already got to the bottom of the draw so we scooted up underneath a Juniper tree and waited to see if he would follow on to the game trail that was in front of us. About the time he disappeard my friend and his dad came up over the ridge the sheep had just come down. They had a clear shot and didn't even know me and my dad were watchin everything that was goin on.

My buddy took a shot and nailed him, but the sheep didn't go down he took off and bolted right next to me and my dad on the backside of the juniper we were sitting in, we jumped up and took off after him. We caught up to him wobblin real bad and tryin to get keep goin, my dad shot him and put him down to try and keep him from runnin off the edge of the canyon (lot of good that did). We went to go walk to my friend and tell him we got him when we heard the sheep slide off the edge and fall into the bottom. Then Next 3 hours were the some of the funnest, hardest, most painful hours I've ever had hunting. We had to go from the top of the canyon to the bottom, skin the sheep and then pack him out.

This is one of us on the way down, thats my friend and his dad.

My friends dad, my dad, and then my friend. (left to right), this was just after we found the sheep after looking for an hour and a half.

This is what the sheep fell off of, we couldn't traverse this part of the canyon as there is another twenty foot drop and shelf above where we were.

And this is my friend with his prized 28in ram. You can see where he slid down a rock into a crevice.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

he looks like a real nice ram
good job
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

they got them in texas?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

We got lots of them in Texas. At least in the Palo Duro Canyon, which is only 1 hour from my front door to the gate. There is no season and no bag limit. But we've got a strict management plan on them on our lease.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job on getting that ram. Looks like rough country out there. Even if you didn't get anything, I would have personaly just enjoyed the hike, climb ,etc, etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like an awesome hunt!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

The climbing is actually my favorite part of the whole hunt. Shooting something is just a bonus. The only trouble comes when you shoot something and it ends up on one of those shelves. We we're really fortunate that that sheep landed where it did. 30 yds behind it on the other side of that slide was something that was completely inaccessible from either side of it.