Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Deer Season

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Season

Don't be afraid to sit on the ground. A stand isn't needed.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM

I shot only a Doe this year she was a big one!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I missed a doe with my bow(hit a branch, honest), had the buck that I had been after at 20 yards, but a tree was in the way, so no shot oppotunity......had a doe at 13 yards, right under my tree, but she caught me facing the other way, looking at other deer and I couldn't turn around because she knew I was there, just not what I was....I missed a good buck with my rifle.......checked my zero later and somehow my scope had been knocked off...[>:] sighted it back in, and promptly shot a doe at 300 yards.....[8D]. I had a good season, just not a very successful one.....I had a ton of fun and can't complain much...it was my first bow season....
Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Centauri

Hunting time is severely limited. I can only do so in our state's youth hunting weekend and regular gun deer, and I can only do that 3 days at most. My dad's friend has been hunting up there for years and put us on spots that have produced deer every year. Another problem is that Wisconsin deer like to hole up in thick forests, and carrying that double seater 16 foot ladder stand isn't easy even in the best of terrains, so I can't get to those areas.
Pick up a bow and extend your season
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Don't be afraid to sit on the ground. A stand isn't needed.
Its kind of hard to see deer when they like to lay in areas that you can't see past 5 feet
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

Hunting time is severely limited. I can only do so in our state's youth hunting weekend and regular gun deer, and I can only do that 3 days at most. My dad's friend has been hunting up there for years and put us on spots that have produced deer every year. Another problem is that Wisconsin deer like to hole up in thick forests, and carrying that double seater 16 foot ladder stand isn't easy even in the best of terrains, so I can't get to those areas.
I've thought about it, but I went to our local Gander Mtn. and was talking about basic equipment with a guy and he said that just the bare minimum would cost about $800, which is too expensive for my tastes. I would have to buy a new stand, because my ladder stand isn't the kind where you take it in in the morning and remove it before it gets dark.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

I've thought about it, but I went to our local Gander Mtn. and was talking about basic equipment with a guy and he said that just the bare minimum would cost about $800, which is too expensive for my tastes. I would have to buy a new stand, because my ladder stand isn't the kind where you take it in in the morning and remove it before it gets dark.
No, you can get a decent setup for $400-$500, you could even spend less if you wanted to. Go over to AT(archery talk) and look in the classifieds. You can find good,older bows that are around $300-$350 or less.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Centauri, try some different methods. I hunt the thick stuff quite a bit too. Try still hunting. try putting on drives. try hunting off the ground. try tracking once you have snow on the ground. It ain't easy work. Ive killed deer all those ways, and they are all great hunts. Just keep trying stuff till you find what works!
-Jake
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drives would be nice, but who will go? Not many of our friends deer hunt, and the ones that do will try to get a drive going, but we can never stay long enough to do so. I blame my mom for that. The rest is up to my dad, and he only wants to sit in our treestand. Its hard enough to walk far for in the woods for him, due to his major surgery he had a few years ago. I always hunt with him, and I don't own any land to go wandering around in, and the law in Wisconsin is that anyone huntingunder 18 must be within shouting distance of an adult, so theres another reason.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

ok I understand your problem than. I was gonna ask if you were still a youth hunter or not. Just keep sticking with it man. Once your old enough start doing some walking. I drive for my dad and uncles all the time, me and my other cousins. And I often get deer while putting on the drives. If you do it right, once your older you could drive for your dad and still get good shot opportunities. Stick with it!
-Jake

Quick Reply: Deer Season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.