Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Thinkin about an AR

Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thinkin about an AR

I was thinking about getting an AR after the first of the year. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? Or more specifically, does anyone have a Bushmaster .223/5.56 or the .308, or know how they shoot? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 AM

Default RE: Thinkin about an AR

ORIGINAL: Tobe_B

I was thinking about getting an AR after the first of the year. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? Or more specifically, does anyone have a Bushmaster .223/5.56 or the .308, or know how they shoot? Thanks.
Bushmasters are good. Rock Rivers are my favorite though. Get one in 5.56 if your going to. Or even the 223 Wylde chamber. I dont know exactly what your looking for to recomend a model for you but you should expect to pay between $1000-$1500 forone right now.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Thats pretty much my price range. The only thing is, I am very apprehensive about the .223s and the 5.56s ability to take down hogs at long range, but the fact that there is follow up shot capability is kinda easying my mind on it, but I guess that if my shot placement doesn't completely stink, then I should be just fine.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

my brother shot a guy w/ his bush master. it did the trick......[&:]
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Thats pretty much my price range. The only thing is, I am very apprehensive about the .223s and the 5.56s ability to take down hogs at long range, but the fact that there is follow up shot capability is kinda easying my mind on it, but I guess that if my shot placement doesn't completely stink, then I should be just fine.
What do you consider long range? 200 yards it would be fine. Anything farther shot placement is key. To get it in 308 you would have to go to an AR10. AR15's come in many different calibers though. You just need to look around.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

Long range to me is anything over 300. I work at a ranch down on Palo Duro Canyon on the weekends and a lot of what I am doing is shooting hogs. I can get up to with about twenty yards during the day before I start shooting, but I want the ability to keep shooting and making lethal shots at ranges between 300 and 400 yards. I know the .223 has the ability go that far, but as for the punch at the other end, I don't really know if it has what it takes. But the .308 might, but I don't know because I have never even shot a .308, all I know is what the balistic charts tell me.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Long range to me is anything over 300. I work at a ranch down on Palo Duro Canyon on the weekends and a lot of what I am doing is shooting hogs. I can get up to with about twenty yards during the day before I start shooting, but I want the ability to keep shooting and making lethal shots at ranges between 300 and 400 yards. I know the .223 has the ability go that far, but as for the punch at the other end, I don't really know if it has what it takes. But the .308 might, but I don't know because I have never even shot a .308, all I know is what the balistic charts tell me.
A 308 has plenty for hogs out to 500 yards. I wouldnt push shots much farther then that. As for using an AR or any semi auto for shooting that far i would really not recomend it. The only AR style rifles ive seen capible of being accurate that thos ranges are high end bull barrel AR's in 223, or 223 Wylde chamber. I would get a good bolt gun if i was you.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

I've already got a .300 win mag, it does an amazing job, but it only holds three. And when hogs start running you don't have any time to reload, that's why I want something that shoots fast, hits hard enough, and holds bullets. I've thought about finding an AR that has a free floating bull barrel, do you know of any companies that make one?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Rock River Arms. This would be your best bet for a long range gun but because of demand because of the elections they have been running just under $2000 for it. They do have a 1moa guarantee which would be good out to 400-500 yards on a hog.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category _id=257
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM

I have an AR and it shoots really nice its not a bushmaster. Its just a lower and upper from two different places and got it for around 600 dollars. They come alot ceaper if you buy a AR kit.

Quick Reply: Thinkin about an AR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.