Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Moving Game

Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default Moving Game

Do you shoot at moving game? And I mean deer and things like that. When I hunt PA all that we do is deer drives, and being one of the younger ones in the group, I am almost always playing dog for my great uncles and grandpa. Of my twelve deer, 6 have been at a full run, 3 have been trotting. 2 were with a bow, and one was a doe just standing still in a field. SO most of my rifle deer have been running. What do you all think about shooting moving game and how do you practice?
-Jake
Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Default RE: Moving Game

i will NOT shoot at a deer that is moving any faster than a fast walk/ trot. Don't have full confidence in my shooting abilities to make sure i hit the deer in a kill zone.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

i prefer to shoot at a stationary target...but then again who doesnt. it really depends on me tho...we have provate property and if a deer gets by one of us someone else will see it and get a shot. so i elect to pass most of the time if its more than a trot and i cant stop him. however after i touch one off...if he begins to run i will let two other slugs fly if i still believe i can male a good shot on him. last year shot at one three times...all three hits...2 in the kill zone...one a bit high but he was taken humainly as could be. thats just me..and im sure different ppl will answer differently depending on the way there hunting grounds are set up...population...private or public property...length of the season will all come into play
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

Do you shoot at moving game? And I mean deer and things like that. When I hunt PA all that we do is deer drives, and being one of the younger ones in the group, I am almost always playing dog for my great uncles and grandpa. Of my twelve deer, 6 have been at a full run, 3 have been trotting. 2 were with a bow, and one was a doe just standing still in a field. SO most of my rifle deer have been running. What do you all think about shooting moving game and how do you practice?
-Jake
It is WAY more "ethical" to shoot ducks on the move rather than chillin in your decoy spread. But heck... I'm not picky when it comes to ducks, so yeah I'll cut 'em moving or sitting.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 AM

It all depends on the day. If a deer is running full speed through thick brush or 300 yards out i wouldnt shoot. But if its running through an open field at 75 yards i would shoot. Each and every situation will determine if i shoot or not. I shot my big 9pt whyle he was walking with a bow.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

you already know where i am on this
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

YES, I will shoot at game that is moving but I prefer a stationary target. When I was bow hunting yesterday I shot a spike that was on the move. The deer didn't go 50 yards...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

you already know where i am on this
Yea sky, Im pretty sure you and I had about the same upbringing.
-Jake
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

seems that way dont it lol
Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on the situation for me. If I feel comfortable with the shot, I will take it. If not, I am not taking the shot.

Quick Reply: Moving Game

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.