Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Moving Game

Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving Game

ORIGINAL: ksfowler

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Chris and ksfowler, why is it more ethical to shoot them in the air?
Well for one thing it is illegal to shoot them on the ground or water.
thats no law here. you can water swat if you want in maine. but yes, ducks are much harder to kill sitting on the water then flying. they have way more protection w/ their wings tucked in opposed to flying. plus, they are a bigger target in ythe air
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

also, thats why repeating rifleswere invented! lol shoot hard and fast boys!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

i will NOT shoot at a deer that is moving any faster than a fast walk/ trot. Don't have full confidence in my shooting abilities to make sure i hit the deer in a kill zone.
x2
except if io miss[]ill take some hailmary shots then
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

So i can go out and shoot a limit of waterfowl off the water infront of a conservation officer and not get in trouble for it.

So is legal always ethical? Not in my opinion. And we don't have that law in Missouri, my mistake.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

So i can go out and shoot a limit of waterfowl off the water infront of a conservation officer and not get in trouble for it.

So is legal always ethical? Not in my opinion. And we don't have that law in Missouri, my mistake.
I never said that. I knew I should have put a disclaimer in there. Once again, my bad.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

they have way more protection w/ their wings tucked in opposed to flying. plus, they are a bigger target in ythe air
Turkeys are the same way. We get them flying and shoot them out of the air. Its alot easier in the fall that way because they dont like to come to calls.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Retaks

they have way more protection w/ their wings tucked in opposed to flying. plus, they are a bigger target in ythe air
Turkeys are the same way. We get them flying and shoot them out of the air. Its alot easier in the fall that way because they dont like to come to calls.
How do you guys hunt them then? In the fall we normally bust them up, get in the middle of where they all went, and then call. You get surrounded most times, if you do it right.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say it is more "ethical" to shoot ducks in flight than in your spread. Notice the quotes around the word: "ethical." I say this because all of the hunters on their high horses in the other forums say it unethical to shoot sitting ducks.

I couldn't disagree more. And it is legal to shoot ducks on the water where I'm at, so by God im doin it. If you have what it takes to work that duck into your spread, cut it. And if you don't, cut 'em when they're passing.

As for the correlation between the two meanings "ethically" and "legally," thats a whole 'nother topic. Go talk to some of the "experienced" hunters in the bowhunting/deerhunting forums about hunting deer over cornpiles
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chris, understood. Thank you for clearing it up for me
Old 11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I know people who would claim it is unthical to shoot a turkey in the air, but ive done it, me and my dad doubled on a flock of turkeys that flew right at us. And peple will claim it is more ethical to shoot a duck out of the air do to the added difficulty of shooting a fast moving target, and haveing no time to aim properly.

And in CA it is not illegal to shoot them sitting, and Ksfowler, firstly you would need a place that would hold birds long enough for you to sneek up on them like that to make your point valid, the law is more for the duck that lands in your spread well your back is turned

Quick Reply: Moving Game

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.