Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Whats Your Story?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whats Your Story?

Well said.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 AM

Fine i'll write a short story about why and how i started hunting,

My mother and father split up when i was 1. Never had a great relationship with my father as he has anger problems and was abusive to my mother and my brother Josh. You could never do anything right in his eyes. He did however introduce me to the world of the outdoors. We fished and camped every weekend he had visitation. It got to the point where i refused to go visit him because of his anger problems and the constant harping and yelling and screaming. As i got older i decided to try to rekindle my relationship with my father. He had hunted for years, gave it up and was starting to get back into it. At the same time i met a friend in high school that was very interested in firearms, hunting, fishing, and shooting. He took me out one day to shoot his .22 and 12 Gauge and i was hooked. I started shooting trap and target shooting. I thought that perhaps if i got into hunting that i could strengthen my relationship with my father and we could become closer. I was 18 when i decided to take my hunters ed course. I asked my Dad to go with me but he was always " to busy". Well my friend, who was a little younger i might add took me under his wing so to speak and him and 2 friends of ours went to take our hunters ed classes.

After passing my hunters ed i started to do some small game hunting. I really wanted to deer hunt and my dad hunts deer every winter during gun season. I hinted several times to him that i'd like my first deer hunt to be with my father. Well he never offerred to take me nor really show any interest in taking me. Luckily our neighbor for 10 years and i are close. He told me he'd take me hunting my first year if i wanted. I quickly accepted. It just so happens that both of us had Gastric Bypass surgery. Well we went down to his sisters in Logan, Ohio and hunted all week during gun week. HE taught me how to shoot more accurately, HE taught me where to shoot, HE taught me how to gut a deer, HE taught me what to look for and how to stalk, and HE was there with me when i got my first deer. It really hurts that my dad didn't seem to have any interest in taking part in such a memorable moment of my life and i don't think that scar will ever heal, though there are a few caused by him that never will. I go back for the obvious reasons, i enjoy it, i enjoy the meat and enjoy the vacation, but more importantly i enjoy hearing the woods wake up, the sweet sounds of the birds in the morning as i'm sipping on coffee to wake myself up, the sun coming up over the ridge and the morning fog rising from the valleys, the squirrels scampering along the leaves constantly keeping my eyes busy, looking for what i think is a deer, the goosebumps on my neck from the cold breeze, and the calming peace of the woods, no cars, sirens, people or jake braking semi's. If i didn't shoot anything, i think i'd still enjoy it as much, the deer are just an added bonus.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Ah, thank you for sharing and I'm very sorry to hear about your father.
BUT I am very happy that you are here now!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice story amn. it took me anbout ten minutes to read it . that was deep. one of the best yet....accept mine obviously j/k man nice joib