Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Youth Hunters Harvest Post

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Youth Hunters Harvest Post

It amazes me how ignorant some of you are about using a shotgun to deer hunt with. I get 3 inch groups at 125 yards with my Mossberg 500 and Hornady SST Sabot, Barnes Expander Sabot and Light Field slug. All i use is a red dot, no scope for me. You don't need a 3 1/2 inch slug, 2 3/4 do just fine. My neighbor shot a 10 point buck at 85 yards dead run with 1 shot through both lungs. It ran about 30 yards and dropped. The Hornady SST is to be sighted in at 150 yards and drops 6 inches at 200. They are guaranteed to 200 yards.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

It amazes me how ignorant some of you are about using a shotgun to deer hunt with. I get 3 inch groups at 125 yards with my Mossberg 500 and Hornady SST Sabot, Barnes Expander Sabot and Light Field slug. All i use is a red dot, no scope for me. You don't need a 3 1/2 inch slug, 2 3/4 do just fine. My neighbor shot a 10 point buck at 85 yards dead run with 1 shot through both lungs. It ran about 30 yards and dropped. The Hornady SST is to be sighted in at 150 yards and drops 6 inches at 200. They are guaranteed to 200 yards.
i use 2 3/4 slugs for my mossberg 500 and i got one this year at 60 yards with winchester sabot slugs
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

im not a fan of hunting deer w/ a shotgun myself, but they most certainly work greatwhen ppl dont exceed their abilities
Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

in illinois, all we are allowed to use on deer are shotguns, bows, (NO crossbows, unless you have a disability permit) and muzzle loader!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

My neighbor shot a 10 point buck at 85 yards dead run with 1 shot through both lungs. It ran about 30 yards and dropped.
IMO ur neighbor is an idiot for taking that shot
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

why? it cant be because a shotgun isnt capableof a cleankill at that range w/ the modern day slugs and sabot load so it must be because it was a running shot huh? if so, you my friend would have a hard job killing a big buck in maine if you dont like running shots. ive killed28 deer in my life so far (maine, new hampshire and penn.) and i bet only 10-12 were standing still and 9 of those were w/ a bow. one was a muzzle-loader and one was w/ a rifle. the rest have all been shotjumping, running or trottingoff after i jumped them out. sometimes imiss, sometimes im able to talk 'em into hangin around but you cant be afraid to try and tuck one in em somewheres. if you dont shoot you aint gonna get nothin!i know this is probably gonna start an ethics battle but thats the way its done in the north woods of maine. sry but like you said thats you opinion and i have mine.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just dont think it is any ethical shot any way you look at it. you have a greater chance of wounding it then anything....especially on a dead run at 85 yards
Old 05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i deer on a dead run isnt exactly a race horse lol especially a big buck or any big deer really. the big ones do more of a lope and it can be timed pretty well w/ practice. i agree 100%that the odds are greater of wounding a deer that way but if i can track them when they arent bleeding i know i can do it w/ a bullet in them. also thats why we use the big bores like the 35 whelen and the . 350 remington. they have the energy and bullet mass to peritrate into the good stuff even if i smakc em in the **** chute. plus an big entrance hole that wont clog up w/ fat or stomach debri like a small dia. bullet might allow
Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive shot 4 differentbucks on the run from 40-140 yards and have never wounded one,i used my 270 wsm to shoot all them.........everytime i just aimed for the white throat patch and every time they have dropped stone cold
Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a pretty safe bet using the white on the neck if they are runnnig broad side. i usually use the brisket or just ahead of the front leg. myfather uses the tip of the nose but he usually makes head shots. i think i posted one in the deerhunting forum. usually up here they are headed straight out or on an angle. a peep sight isnt reallt that precise so i get the front bead on brown and let 'er eat!

Quick Reply: Youth Hunters Harvest Post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.