Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

never hunted before...

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: never hunted before...

If the new hunter can't shoot past 100 yards effectively, then I won't let him take a shot past that. If he can shoot effectively and consistently past 100, then I give him the full right to make that choice or not. Its all experience. If he decides to shoot at a deer past 100 yards and misses becausehe/she not yet a good shooter or because he/she tried to take a shot on a deer that didn't give him a good angle, then that hunter takes that experience home and into the woods the next time he/she hunts.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

Ah. Well, you could handle a .30-06. The only thing I can say for the gun matter is, get out there and shoot different calibers. The .270 is flatter shooting than the .30-06, but is not as powerful as the .30-06. The .243 is a great deer caliber, and has less recoil than both the .270 and .30-06. It just depends on what you'd prefer. There are so many calibers out there, but these are the three most widely used calbiers for deer sized game. You could get a .308, with recoil similar to a .270 and a heavy bullet to battle through brush. A 30-30 is a solidbrush bullet, but isn't great for shots over 200 yards. Again, just get out there and experience it. Go to local gun shops and talk to some veteran hunters that hang there.
i totally agree with everything your saying! one small comment though! for a starter to SHOOTING and HUNTING in general probably doesnt need to be shooting over a hundered yards. helps to ensure a good clean kill and to not lower his confidence if he misses, thats why i was thinking a shotgun might be best if Maryland law allows it. it has plenty of pounch but lacks the range of a rifle, but like i said i dont see the need for a beginer shooting over a hundered yards anyway!
Not in all cases. All it takes is practice. I've taken plenty of new hunters to the woods, and more than half of them have taken deer from over 200 yards. I just take them out to the range a few days in a row and let them practice. If a new hunter wanted to start mule deer hunting in the hills of Colorado, he is most likely going to be taking shots at 250+ yards.
i never said it couldnt be done! i just said that there isnt much need. obviously you taught them well enough to take a deer at 200 + yards but in maryland i think that might be a bit unnecisary, and it is always better if they are closer.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the new hunter can't shoot past 100 yards effectively, then I won't let him take a shot past that. If he can shoot effectively and consistently past 100, then I give him the full right to make that choice or not. Its all experience. If he decides to shoot at a deer past 100 yards and misses becausehe/she not yet a good shooter or because he/she tried to take a shot on a deer that didn't give him a good angle, then that hunter takes that experience home and into the woods the next time he/she hunts.
i would never disagree with that statement! if they have earned the right to shoot past 100 then ok, however since he doesnt even have a gun little own a mentor to coach him in person at this point in time it would be best if he kept it under a hundered. i hope he goes out and busts targets consistently at 200 yards, but its unlikely.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah. Well, you could handle a .30-06. The only thing I can say for the gun matter is, get out there and shoot different calibers. The .270 is flatter shooting than the .30-06, but is not as powerful as the .30-06. The .243 is a great deer caliber, and has less recoil than both the .270 and .30-06. It just depends on what you'd prefer. There are so many calibers out there, but these are the three most widely used calbiers for deer sized game. You could get a .308, with recoil similar to a .270 and a heavy bullet to battle through brush. A 30-30 is a solidbrush bullet, but isn't great for shots over 200 yards. Again, just get out there and experience it. Go to local gun shops and talk to some veteran hunters that hang there.
i totally agree with everything your saying! one small comment though! for a starter to SHOOTING and HUNTING in general probably doesnt need to be shooting over a hundered yards. helps to ensure a good clean kill and to not lower his confidence if he misses, thats why i was thinking a shotgun might be best if Maryland law allows it. it has plenty of pounch but lacks the range of a rifle, but like i said i dont see the need for a beginer shooting over a hundered yards anyway!
Not in all cases. All it takes is practice. I've taken plenty of new hunters to the woods, and more than half of them have taken deer from over 200 yards. I just take them out to the range a few days in a row and let them practice. If a new hunter wanted to start mule deer hunting in the hills of Colorado, he is most likely going to be taking shots at 250+ yards.
i never said it couldnt be done! i just said that there isnt much need. obviously you taught them well enough to take a deer at 200 + yards but in maryland i think that might be a bit unnecisary, and it is always better if they are closer.
I agree, in Maryland 100+ yard shots might not be necessary. I'm not saying that all new hunters can do this. I've taken kids out that couldn't even hit the target at 75 yards, even after hours on end and over a hundred dollars worth of shells.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

been there before as well! it hurts! both them and you! and your wallet! lol[&:]
Old 02-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah... it sucks! You're bustin my wallet and my time kid!!![:'(]
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Shotgun Regulations
Shotguns may be used to hunt forest and upland game, coyote, fisher, fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, woodchuck and migratory game birds, with the restriction that the magazine and chamber must be capable of holding no more than 3 shells total except for deer hunting, where the number of shells is restricted to 8.
[*]
Shotguns larger than 10 gauge may not be used to hunt waterfowl and coots.
[*]
Nontoxic shot larger than No. T (.20 inches in diameter) may not be used to hunt waterfowl and coots.
[*]
The possession or use of lead shotgun ammunition while hunting waterfowl, coots, snipe, and rails is prohibited.
[*]
Deer hunters using shotguns must use a pumpkin ball, rifled slug or sabot. Buckshot may not be used to hunt deer except in Dorchester County, where #1 size buckshot or larger may be used. The use of shotguns smaller than 20 gauge for deer hunting is not permitted.
[*]
A person hunting turkey in the spring season shall be restricted to only using shot sizes #4, #5, or #6. A person hunting turkey in the fall season shall be restricted to only using shot sizes #4, #5, or #6 or a single projectile.
[/ul]
Rifle Regulations
[*]
It is unlawful to hunt with an automatic firearm capable of firing a series of shots with one continuous pull of the trigger.
[*]
Rifles used for deer hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.
[*]
Firearms used for deer hunting may not have an ammunition clip loaded with more than 8 cartridges or bullets. If a clip has the capacity to hold more than 8 rounds, the clip does not have to be physically blocked, but no more than 8 cartridges or bullets may be loaded.
[*]
Rifles may be used to hunt forest game (except turkey during the spring season), upland game (except dove and woodcock), crow, nutria, and woodchuck and certain furbearing species.
[*]
It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.
[*]
Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.
[/ul]
Muzzleloader Regulations
[*]
Muzzleloading rifles and shotguns may be used to hunt forest game, upland game (shotgun only for dove and woodcock), coyote, fisher, fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, woodchuck. Muzzleloader shotguns, with non-toxic shot only, may be used to hunt waterfowl, coots, rails, and snipe. Muzzleloading rifles may not be used to hunt turkey during the spring season.
[*]
Muzzleloaders used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size and use not less than 60 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Sabot loads are legal.
[*]
It is permissible to hunt deer with a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun in all counties. Telescopic sights may be used on a muzzleloader during Firearms or Muzzleloader Seasons statewide.
[*]
Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder.
[/ul]Maryland regulations regarding firearms
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Hunter Education and Safety Requirement
To hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland, state law requires:
[*]
Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunting Safety (required for junior licenses), or
[*]
Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
[*]
Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
[*]
Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will only hunt waterfowl.
[/ul]
Exception: Compliance with the Hunter Education and Safety Requirement does not apply to those shooting under a Regulated Shooting Area Hunting License.
Note: RESIDENT Junior Hunters (under 16 years of age) will be entitled to a one-time FREE annual hunting license, bow stamp, and muzzleloader stamp upon successful completion of a Hunter Safety and Education course (bring form provided by course instructor to any DNR Licensing and Registration Service Center).
Trapper Education
Effective August 1, 2007, any person who is trapping or attempting to trap furbearers (beaver, coyote, fisher, gray fox, long-tailed weasel, mink, muskrat, opossum, raccoon, red fox, river otter, and skunk), under the authority of a Furbearer Permit must first obtain a certificate of trapper education from the Department (or a designee of the Department), except that the certificate is not required if the person held a Furbearer Permit during the 2006-07 trapping season (prior to August 1, 2007). Trapper education courses will be held statewide beginning in 2007. Any similar certificate issued by another state is acceptable as complying with the educational requirements if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.
Full Season Hunting License
Allows you to hunt all legal game birds and mammals in season without the need for additional stamps, except: (1) deer during bow season; (2) deer during muzzleloader season; (3) migratory game birds; and (4) furbearers. A Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp may also be used with these licenses.
Resident Regular Hunting License...$24.50
(Age 16 to 64)
Resident Junior Hunting License...$10.50
(Under 16 years of age, written permission of parent or guardian required)

License info

Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok or you can just copy and paste it! smarty![&:]
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Just trying to help

Quick Reply: never hunted before...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.