Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Rifle Suggestions

Old 12-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle Suggestions

I have decided that I am going to purchase my 7 year old daughter a 22 rifle. I have been looking at a bunch of different models but can't decide on one. I know that I do want a bolt action. Don't want any accidental shots fired. Anyone have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone knows of anywhere I can pick up a used one that would be great also.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM

Default RE: Rifle Suggestions

wal-mart has some cheap ones that are under $200. i would go witha savage .22 in bolt action.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking the same - .22 bolt action would be good. I don't know if Ruger sells bolt actions considering i've had that same semi .22 for 20 years now. I think any type of bolt action .22 would be more pratical
Old 12-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have looked at so many different guns already that the more I see the harder it is to decide. I am definetly set on bolt action though. I think that it is time for me to pick a few and let her decide between them. If anyone has one they want to sell though I am definetly interested.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM

I checked the ruger website and they do offer a .22lr in bolt action. here's the link:

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Bolt%20Action& famlst=40

try looking at pawn shops as well. but if you decide to go to wally world, check their catalog to see what other guns that they sell. but i believe that they keep a good few in stock.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 AM

As a lefty I feel I must ask you to check her eye dominance first. If she needs to shoot left handed a RH bolt is still perfectly fine and no problem until you put a scope on it. That problem solves itself also 'cause I'd imagine you'd teach her on iron-sights anyways.

If she does end up being a left hander (or even if she doesn't) have you thought about pumps or levers? I fully agree and understand you not wanting a semi.

I'll give savage a nod for high value/price ratio.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Cant go wrong with a ruger. areu goin to look into youth models or are u just gonna get a full sized one.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that I will be going with a full sized. I have seen a few that are lighter then others. My daughter is 7 but she is real tall and strong for her age.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a small youth 22 bolt I saw called the cricket, but I didn't like itsince it didn't have any kind of feed ramp. It was a true single shot, and you had to manually place the bullet all the way into thechamber holeinthe flat breech plate before closing the bolt. Pretty awkward for anyone, and especially frustating for a beginner.

I have never bought a 22 bolt and I can't remember the make or model of the one my Dad used to teach me with. It's so old that I'm sure they don't make it anymore anyway. It had detachable 5 or 7 round mags and anice narrow grip for small hands. That's agood way to go, but I'm not familiar with manymodern 22 bolts that may have the same features.

Good luck.
Post when you get one.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 PM

just saying....my cussin got a bolt action .22 for her birthday(10 at the time) and she ended up getting a pink...yeah PINK bolt action wooded stock
dont know where they got it or wut brand it is but if your interested i can ask them!

Quick Reply: Rifle Suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.