Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Stumps in clearing for food plot

Old 05-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default Stumps in clearing for food plot

A couple years back I had some logging done on my small parcel of land. I had them totally clear out one area of some very large trees. The stumps were left behind as they were so big that it was putting the excavator on its nose to get them out. How much of a hassle is it going to be if I try to plant a food plot in and around those stumps? They were mature so there is area around them but Im wondering if I should waste my time in trying here? Obviously regular farm EQ wont be able to help out.

Thanks

D
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stumps in clearing for food plot

We have a couple of plots that have big stumps in them. We just plant around them. Have to watch the disc so they don't hit, but maybe they will rot out in a couple of years. If yours are sprouting put some Tordon or other strong herbicide one them. Either drilling holes or chopping some in the stump will speed rotting.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 AM

I've got the same problem on my property. I just work around them with the disc and spring tooth. Not much you can do except let them rot away.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

you could try to light fire on top of them. put a few cuts into the wood with a chain saw, then stack some wood to cover the top and light it. it won't eliminate the stump completely, but it may help it fully decompose a a few years earlier than if you didn't burn it. it may also weaken the stump enough that you might be able to break it up with a f.e.l. or a boxblade.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:15 PM

I have heard of people drilling holes into the top of stumps, filling them with diesel and burning them. I don't know how well this will work, but it seems to me that it may take several days for them to burn a larger stump.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

i tried drilling some 3/4" holes in the stumps with an auger bit and an 18 volt cordless drill. it really seemed to drain the batteries fast. cutting some 4-8" grooves in there with a chainsaw and then filling them with a petrochemical would probably be more efficient. make the grooves look like this:

####
####
####

increasing the surface area of the stump with the cuts should allow for a more rapid and thorough burning.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try them. Someone I know did mention that if I score the tops with a chainsaw it will rot them out faster letting water down inside but it still seems to be a slow process.

Seems I saw something advertised a few years back that you could sprinkle on stumps to make them rot away quickly. Maybe it was a gimmick as I know of nothing like that locally.

Thanks again!!

D
Old 05-10-2005, 07:14 AM

I seen that chemical rot substance from time to time as well. Maybe in Progressive Farmer magazine or some other sort of magazine like that. I'll look sometime when I remember it and try to post back. I don't know of anyone who has tried it.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:57 PM

I believe the product is called stump-out, and is sold at feed/seed stores. Although illegal to use in some areas, diesel will have the same effect in the same time frame. Drill a nice-size hole in the stump and insert product. The rest is history.......
Old 05-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put a salt black on some of them or cover with water softener salt, try not to get it near the plaantings, just like keep the fuel away from the crops. a salt block and the deer are slowly eradicating mine...

Quick Reply: Stumps in clearing for food plot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.