Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

Old 04-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

Hello everyone,
I am College student studying wildlife management and was wanting some viewpoints from hunters on the topic of HUNTING OVER BAIT. Please just let me know if you are Pro or Con and your reasoning.(bait-feeders, foodplots,barrels,ect.) Also add what state you are from, Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:00 AM

Default RE: Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

I think the issue of bait or not depends on game management goals. If hunters are reaching the goals set for harvest without bait, I think that is the way it should stay. If goals are not being met because hunters are having difficulty harvesting enough animals(depending on goals set by DNR for deer, bear, elk, whatever) the method of hunting may need to be evaluated.

Methods of hunting by region and species may vary widely. I think traditional hunting methods should remain as long as it will not hinder game management.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is legal, and you have no personal problems with hunting over a non-natural attraction, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is my opinion that any bait or lure including agriculture fields, food plots, feeders, scents, mineral licks etc are the same. I hunt in Alabama where it is illegal to bait at this time, although food plots, scents and agriculture are not prosecuted. I live in Florida where you can sit over a feeder from daylight to dark legally. Welcome to the board.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 AM

I hunt Fla. and it is legal to use feeders and bait piles. I see nothing wrong with that as long as it is legal.we have 10 feed stations they go year round.that is just my party.there are (probably 125 to 150 feeders in the hunt club).and has been for several years.
the feeders have really helped our deer and turky heards a great deal.they will always have feed whethere or not nature provides them any.
any thing that helps ; I think is ok.we also have food plots all around.
welcome to the board.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

been guiding for black bears over bait stations up here in canada and cotrary to popular belief bait stations actually give the hunter a better chance to examine the animal for any length of time to ensure its not a sow with cubs...the antis had the sprin season shut down in ontario(im in manitoba)on the basis that sows with cubs were being taken(without proof of course) in my 15 going on 16 years in the woods i have never seen a sow with cubs taken...also gives the hunter a choice on animals...most bears at one bait at any given time was 11 at once....so im all for baiting...but..thats my opinion
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL. for migratory game birds and wild turkey you cannot shoot over
baited field. You can have a feed station , but you have to be 100yds from
it to shoot.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 AM

Although I support wildlife management and the planting of food plots I do not (personal preference) hunt over bait, be it a bag of corn or a food plot. The pros are in areas of the country where animals aren't abundant they can be hunted more proficiently because of concentrated numbers. Cons (the biggest IMO) of hunting over a food plot is food plot burn out. By spending too much time around a plot it can and often dose cause animals to visit the plot only durring night time hours. If you hunt the animals in their travel routes and you get busted the deer will alter their travel patterns and still arrive at the plot. get bust over the plot and the gig is up. the deer will avoid it durring daylight hours.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I am from Texas and I have a couple of different hunting places that I use spin feeders/gravity feeders. I personally think that if you have the right to hunt over bait then use it. In my years of hunting I have come to the conclusion that hunting over bait is only half of it. I see several deer every time I sit in the stand at my feeder, but the majority of my hunting takes place walking through and glassing canyons.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Let's say that hunting over bait is legal in your area for say 50 years in a row. Then, all of the sudden some beurocrat decides that it shouldn't be legal and it is banned. Now, just because it's not legal is it not ethical?
Treeclimber.....125-150 feeders? I know of a ranch that is 140,000 acres that doesnt have that many feeders.....i'd ease up a bit.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WildLife Student TAMUK

Hello everyone,
I am College student studying wildlife management and was wanting some viewpoints from hunters on the topic of HUNTING OVER BAIT. Please just let me know if you are Pro or Con and your reasoning.(bait-feeders, foodplots,barrels,ect.) Also add what state you are from, Thanks.
I don't have a problem with it. Most people put out corn, which isn't necessarily the best supplement in the world, but as far as using it for a deer attractant, why not? Success comes from doing what works. If your goal is killing a deer, and bait helps you do it, more power to you. I prefer a fenceline along a wheat field myself. I like to sit where I can put the binoculars to good use.

BTW, howdy and welcome to the forums! I take it your going to school in Kingsville. If so, we won't hold that against you.

Quick Reply: Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.