Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Hunting over Bait Pro or Con??

This has been a controversial subject for some time and will remain so for a lot longer. Why? Deer hunters care deeply about their sport and the animal we hunt. There is no doubt in my mind that hunters care more about deer and the rest of the wild creatures than the wacko, tree huggers do.

Anyway here's 2 cents worth:

I have hunted over bait in Texas and saw a lot of deer. I don't hunt over bait in my state because it is illegal. I don't think I would if it was legal. But, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is legal and there are no disease issues in the area. I also think by making bait legal it could free up time for game wardens to go after violators who are doing more harm(market hunters, poachers, night hunters, etc) instead of staking out a pile of corn for 2 days waiting on the hunter.

I'm a big fan of food plots because they spread deer out more(this is crucial in areas with disease and might even help to prevent disease in areas without it currently). Food plots also provide a more consistent food source over the year, whereas bait is many times cut off at the end of hunting season. Food plots can also improve the health of deer(bigger body size and bigger antlers).

Do I see a big difference between the skills of hunting over bait vs. food plots? No. Neither require the hunting skills that other hunting methods do but does that make them wrong? No. Bait or food plots are a great way to get new hunters, especially kids excited about hunting because they will likely see a lot of game. I don't think I would have ended up in jail but I'm sure I would have gotten into more trouble if I hadn't become a hunting nut when I was 13 years old. It gave me something I think was GOOD to do with my time in the most crucial years of life(13-18). As we know many kids choose the wrong road during these ages.

As far as my hunting methods, I find it fun to watch a lot of deer on food plots but if I'm going to hunt a mature buck(4-8 years old) I have to move off the food plot and into more thick cover. I obviously don't see as many deer this way but I have a much better chance to see a mature animal.

I see I'm drifting from the subject. Sorry. If no disease issues are of concern in the area an it is legal I see no objection to someone choosing to hunt over bait.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies.

Georgia.