Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Bridging streams

Old 03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bridging streams

I'm looking for ideas for bridging small streams. My property on which I hunt is inaccessable except by ATV. There is a small stream that runs thru the bottom center of it. I need to build some type of bridging and am limited by the challenge of getting materials in there. The stream normally runs avg 2-3 ft deep in dry season and leaves the banks in many places afte heavy rains. The site I have in mind has about 5ft banks and is 6ft from one side to another.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bridging streams

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...es/DD7005.html

go there maybe that will help you. You could use timbers on site if there are any available and haul a little bit of lumber in. I've seen many ATV bridges in remote areas they aren't too hard to build but they don't typically last all that long either.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use old creosote telephone poles , each about 10 ft long, level and cut treated 2x6 cut to 5 ft length and nail across the poles. You could also use landscape timbers and nail boards to them or use landscape timbers and get a couple old pallets and slide the timbers thru the openings and lay across the ditch.. I've done them all with success...
Old 03-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

How about lay down some concrete culverts and then spread stonecrete over it?
Since you are only running ATVs over it maybe plastic culvert would be easier and cheaper,
Old 03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

One that small I would use the power poles and deck it out. I would position it just downstream from a couple of trees and either chain or cable it to the trees so the high water doesn't wash it downstream.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a spot like this.

We used 2ft diameter plastic culvert - and alot of field stones. On top we laid 2 Huge Steel Doors salvaged from a School renovation project. We can even drive the tractor across - but its a bit Narrow.

FH
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a lighter note:

http://jyw.tacorp.net/usseries2/port...ge/bridge.html

Dan O.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would tend to shy away from culverts or any other structure like that if you want to retain full flood plain function etc. I would have to see what type of stream it is but I'm guessing a simple timber bridge would meet your needs just fine and probably be better hydrologically and biologically.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

those crazy brits....
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the stream and site. easiest way is to drop a couple good sized logs (8"-10" or so) and pre-cut some 2x6 lumber and them make the bridge on-site. if you can get there with a atv, you can get the materials and tools in. this, however, is best on short spans (say <20' or so). we have one at our place and have a couple in the Adirondacks. one other thing to be mindfull of is high water. if it floods, your bridge will be downstream somewhere. we have one of ours anchored in the gound and to some trees.

Quick Reply: Bridging streams

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.