Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

More Snow & Couple pics

Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More Snow & Couple pics

Well in Central NY - We won't likely be looking at low moisture content come Spring Planting time.

I was metioning often how light the winter had been back in January - but since then it seems its snowed every day. The official Snowfall in Syracuse (1/2 hr away) - is now at 114" for the season - a full 26" ABOVE normal now. The 42" in February swung things "the other way".

With more snow forecasted this week - its going to be a long March[&o]

I took some pictures in mid Feb - The deer were REALLY using the corn. In fact they were in the feild with me when I walked into it.

The deer were still pawing in the clover, but not the rye. And still digging for apples and eating the apple growth they could reach. Quite a few apple still remain on some of these trees. Its amazing to me since we've had temps more than -20F.

sorry the picture is lame:

Old 03-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: More Snow & Couple pics

Nice looking area ,
it reminds me a lot of the Knobs region of Indiana where I live , although we have sharper peaks . Are those the Andirondacks in the background ?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:13 AM

Great pictures. My little corn plot was gone by December, however I didn't have much more then a .5 of an acre. I knew it was too small, but I just wanted to see how well the corn would grow in the area I planted in.

What kind of apple trees are they? I been toying with the ideal of planting a few. My problem would be spring frost, cedar blight and not wanting anything to do with high maintenance projects. I know there should be a few varieties that should fill my needs, I just never checked into it very much yet.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for sharing the pics!
The first time I looked at them I didn't see the deer in the first picture.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Apple tree? Looks like a sweet gum to me, corn still standing for the most part.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a beautiful setting Farm Hunter. It looks like the scenery near Bristol Mountain Ski resort.

Dan O.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are those the Andirondacks in the background ?
Actually - the hills in the distance are part of what's called the Southern Teir of NY - and its actually a Plateau, that has been carved by Glacial movement, the same as what made the "fingerlakes", in NY. We are on top of one of the higher hills in the area.

What kind of apple trees are they?
This tree in particular is of Northern Spy/cross origin it would seem. Its a wild version, some really old planted Northern Spy are very nearby.

The picture is lame -the lighting stinks - and you only see the edge of the tree. The tall trunk in the center is an Aspen growing behind the tree. So many apple choices are good - Northern Spy stay on the tree a long time.

The corn is still up pretty good, but getting pretty banged up now. There seemed to be a decent # of ears left 2 weeks ago when the picture was taken, I haven't been back since.

FH