Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

my food plot - a picture history

Old 02-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default my food plot - a picture history

I finally got started uploading my food plot pics. The first set is at the following site:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v737/b...eding%2001-02/

Please take a look. Let me know what you think. I will be posting the other pics and a description of what I did a bit later today.

Here's the rest of the pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v737/b...eding%2003-04/
Old 02-21-2005, 10:14 AM

Default RE: my food plot - a picture history

Looks like you had some great success! What did you use? How big was each plot site? I am planting a plot this year similiar to the ones in your pictures. The area is about 1/4-1/2 acre in size, in a clearning in the forest. I'm very interested in hearing more about your food plot!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are some of the specifics:

- property (~5 ac.) logged summer '01
- area of logging roads = ~1/2 ac.
- main reason for seeding - keep roads from growing up to weeds/briars and attracked deer
Aug. 19th - cleared roads and raked & harrowed
Aug. 22 - spread lime (450#) - I used pelletized lime
Aug. 23 - soil test (pH was 4.7)
Aug. 26 - dragged/harrowed; spread lime (1050#)
Aug. 28 - harrowed
Aug. 29 - spread lime (1850#); harrowed
Sept. 3 - harrowed, spread fert (240# 5-10-10; 50# 11-52-0; 50# 0-0-60); seeded (8# Jumbo Ladino clover; 4# medium red clover; 4# Pennlate orchardgrass; 4# Fuego tall fescue; 2# perrenial rye; 100# winter rye; 100# oats); harrowed
Sept. 10 - germination
Sept. 17 - turkeys eating oats
Oct. 25 - deer "mowed" winter rye
Apr. 15 - spread lime (2000#)
May 26 - 1st mowing

Thoughts:
I used too much clover (but oh well). I wouldn't use any grass if I were to do over. Lot of work and lot of money. No problems with weeds filling in road, however deer don't utilize as much as I'd like. Grass has completely taken over. Mowing is a "pain". Grass gets so high, when mowed it make a mat on grass, which doesn't help it's growth. I may try some intensive mowing to see if the clover will come back in.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's really surprising how much growth you got in what appears to be a very shady spot. I think you're right on with the mowing to help the clover. It needs light and reduced competition from the grass by mowing to fill in the area.

Dan O.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The plot was a real nice green - can tell lots of Nitrogen was available.

The Moist summer of '03 probably really helped the growth. I see what you mean about the grasses. I'd agree and probably not plant the perennial Rye or fescue again - they take over quickly. Otherwise it looks like an excellent use of the roadway/clearings - and like it was prepared well.

Has any Blackberry invaded yet? How about the cut over areas?

As an experiment - You might try Mowing a section - then roundup it - and over seed with 1-2 lbs clover and/or a brassica like Dwarf Essex Rape.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

in the later pics you can see the edges of the road are full of briars. thick as thieves. i have to cut them back to get thru. they aren't in the road though - they can't compete with the grass. I was just up there yesterday and think I will try and cut them back now - I can get at them pretty easy with leaveas off.

Dan-O

site 1 is actually very sunny (that's why it did so well). other areas are partly/mostly shade and most areas have growth, but not like site 1. site 2 is actually at the very north end of site 2, as it turns to the left. basically to the right of where I was standing takning the south facing shots.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks good, you might need to mow it a little higher, I use a gasoline hedge trimmer to cut my briars and heavy gloves are in order as well.I think you you might have been a little heavy on the perr ryegrass and fescue... But you also did this for erosion control , so whatever works....
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you hunt over the plot at all? Were you able to take a deer on - or coming to it?

I really like the looks of it - I'll bet when the leaves were gone - it really stuck out as a "green" patch in the woods.

FH
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes i have hunted it (in a couple of the site 2 pics you can see my treestand in the background)
I have seen deer and turkeys (only have jumped them when hunting)
I have gotten a few pics of deer there as well.

It's a "strange" piece of land. In the site 1 south pics you can notice what appears to be a drop off in the distance (it does drop off down to a row of houses right on a main 2 lane hiway (rt 12). the back side drops off very steeply to a creek (may be able to notice on the site 1 north pics). its a smal square with the road on one side, old hay on 2 sides and scrub on another (with a house). It is very hard to pattern the deer there. they bed at night and seem to just pas through. I don't get to hunt it much, but it's right behind the house so when i get a chance I run up.

and you're right from the adjacent road, the green really stands out.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of success did you have before the plantings....

Quick Reply: my food plot - a picture history

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.