Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Roundup Ready Soybeans

Old 02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Roundup Ready Soybeans

You need to remember this, when you plant the winter crops in the beans, next spring you are going to have volunteer beans sprouting up in your small grains, that you cannot kill with weed killer, so you need to till up the field and start over with your new crop.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RonM

You need to remember this, when you plant the winter crops in the beans, next spring you are going to have volunteer beans sprouting up in your small grains, that you cannot kill with weed killer, so you need to till up the field and start over with your new crop.

I was under the impression that any beans produced from RR soys would also by RR. But I'm willing to defer to your experience.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 AM

I believe Ron was saying just that---the volunteer soybeans will have to be disced under to kill them. Seems to me, if enough volunteer beans sprout up and with the cereal grain present---good early feed for deer.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: greg-dude

I believe Ron was saying just that---the volunteer soybeans will have to be disced under to kill them. Seems to me, if enough volunteer beans sprout up and with the cereal grain present---good early feed for deer.
I get it now. But for me that wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't want the rye-wheat-oats combo to grow seed anyways. My plan would be to spray it with Round-Up and overseed some more soys.

FWIW- I don't plan to spray until the woods have greened up, I want my deer to be able to take advantage of the combo til then.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could leave it be and have a summer feeding program, then try this....... let a small patch of the small grains go to seed and then in Sept. disc them down and let the seed from the small grain reseed itself for your fall crop, dont do this with all of it just a small patch and see how it does...Dont worry about the beans then , the frost will get them.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

about 12 months ago i read where a company (dow? monsanto?) had developed a rr wheat. they decided to cancel marketing the seeds due to too many other international companies complaining (or something like that).
Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not Monsanto....
Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RonM

You could leave it be and have a summer feeding program, then try this....... let a small patch of the small grains go to seed and then in Sept. disc them down and let the seed from the small grain reseed itself for your fall crop, dont do this with all of it just a small patch and see how it does...Dont worry about the beans then , the frost will get them.
The reason that I won't leave the oats-wheat-rye growing is that they are not as high a quality browse as soy beans are.
But they have the advantage of staying green through the winter and being available in the early spring before anything else greens up.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:17 PM

Answerguy and everyone else, thanks for the tips. Our soybean plot is pretty small and generally all of the beans are eaten. For us, this would be a little enhancer to the beans.

We are able to water this foodplot so I plan on broadcasting and then applying some artificial rain for seed to soil contact.

Thanks again.

Turkey and Planting season is right around the corner, I can't wait!!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Monsanto.

REGINA - A big reversal from biotech giant Monsanto: the multinational company has shelved plans to introduce its controversial Roundup Ready Wheat. Monsanto says the decision follows extensive consultations with customers in the wheat industry. Many countries, especially in Europe, are opposed to genetically modified wheat and some threatened to stop buying any wheat from Canada.

info taken from here...
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/10...onsanto0405010

Quick Reply: Roundup Ready Soybeans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.