Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

A couple pictures after the Snow

Old 01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A couple pictures after the Snow

I'll bet alot of you - got the snow we did This Weekend. Up until now - it had been a mild winter - only 49" so far this year - Until this weekend.

I have had a Game Camera out since the end of December - trying to get pictures of what bucks made it through the Hunting Season. I had been wanting to get in and get it but have not had a chance. Then the snow and sunzero temps moved in (22 below on Thursday) I was sure the batteries were dead (they were).

Anyhow - I had time today - and trudged throught snow knee - thigh high for about 2 miles from where I parked - to get the camera. I passed by the Cabin, and a couple treestands - and the corn plots to get there. I took a couple pictures to share. I'll get the film developed tomorrow - If anything decent is on it - I'll scan and post here.

Enjoy the pictures:

The last picture on the picnic table at the cabin shows the snow depth. Most of it is from Saturaday 2:00pm - 11:00pm.

It snowed pretty hard.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A couple pictures after the Snow

That is some deep snow. Or at least looks that way to someone that lives where there isn't much snow.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sean, we got hammered here pretty good on Sat. a foot which is a lot for us, well not after the Presidents day week end storm a couple years ago when we got 30 inches. Our first significant this year and hope it's our last for this year. I like the idea that you leave corn standing during the harsh winter months for the "livestock " to winter over , We rent some ground from State Fish and Wildlife agenct adnd no matter what the crop we are required to leave 4 rows standing around the perimeter of the field whether it's corn or beans , for winter feed.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; you need to invest in a pair of snowshoes.

Dan O.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the film back today - and there were lots of does/fawns, some turkeys and one Buck picture. But - Its a buck I REALLY wanted to get a picture of - so its OK if there was only one.

The resolution isn't very good - but see if you think it could be any of the deer pictured below? These pictures are all before the Gun season. We tracked the 9 pointer all summer/fall - but no-one scored. I'm not sure if this is him or a similar looking deer.

Either way he should be a really, really good buck next fall!

What do you think?

FH
Old 01-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to me as though you have 2 different bucks, maybe three, it's hard to really be sure, the one in velvet looks different that any of the other photos and 2 photos at the bottom look different...a couple photos are the same though.......
Old 01-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ER -

The snow in the pictures is more like 3 ft on the ground - its light and fluffy down for 2 ft - the deer seem to have no problem moving through this kind of snow - at least not initially. The snow will settle down quite a bit with the sunlight and more snow.

Those are deer trails you see in the corn - also Turkeys. The snow fell until about midnight - so its just tracks from the local deer - in one night.

Now that the snow is more than 2 feet deep - We usually get an influx of Yarding deer. So we expect more to come - It would not be unusual to see 40, 50, or more deer here in a really bad winter. I will post a picture sometime of the trail system the yarded deer make in the corn plots, and around their bedding areas in the snow - You will like those pictures.

Also - Note how sparse the corn plot(s) look. Compare Late October:

to now - Late January:

Suddenly - it doesn't look like so much food does it?

I'm excited that a decent deer like this made it through. I hope to find his sheds in the apple orchards or corn this spring!

FH

Quick Reply: A couple pictures after the Snow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.