Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Logging Advice

Old 12-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Logging Advice

I'm going to have about 30 acres of my woodland logged. I hired a retired forester to mark trees with an eye towards mast production and game management and not to the value of the timber. I didn't want the logger to make those choices. I am going to retain a well respected logger to cut with less of an eye towards $$ as to insure the property is not beat up too much.

Any advice from the brain trust here.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:45 AM

Default RE: Logging Advice

be sure they know you want to leave some timber for the wildlife ; if not they will run over or push down a lot of good trees.let them know you want them to go after the trees from on trail and not just run into the woods and cut.the main thing is to leave the small patches of thick stuff not large enough to cut.go around them instead of running through them.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you have a good start on trying to achieve your goal. I would make sure the logger either has a loader mounted delimber or uses a chainsaw for delimbing. Don't let him use standing trees for this purpose. Keeping a close check for separation of products should still be done. I would pile the limbs and tops as they are cut in no more than two or three piles on the ramps to either be burned or leave them as habitat for the little critters. Steep terrrain should be avoided with the machinery. A feller buncher is a must to keep the falling trees away from the trees you want to keep.
Many years ago I marked a tract for logging and when I went to check on the logger the day he moved in I noticed a lot of marked to save trees were being cut. Turned out the operator on the feller buncher was color blind to orange paint.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:25 PM

Many years ago I marked a tract for logging and when I went to check on the logger the day he moved in I noticed a lot of marked to save trees were being cut. Turned out the operator on the feller buncher was color blind to orange paint.
I think this is common among timber workers!

I have seen some good ones and brother i have seen more BAD ones!

I have some doing a tract i hunt exclusively now. they are one of the good ones. the ground is very soft and they began tearing up the land very bad. well they shut her down. they will come back when they can do less damage to the forest floor.
there isnt aything worse to me than a skidder rut!!!!!

Robert i would watch them like a hawk! but thats just me.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:42 PM

Frozen ground is great for logging, but not always possible to schedule around. The skidder ruts are bad for sure and never go away. Be sure to make it in the deal that the logger will return in dry weather to smooth the stageing area that he will use for the logs and smooth off the roads he has created.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 AM

Take advantage of the logging road plant food plots in road way this spring work the ground while they are there. You can keep an eye on them and get some work done in the process. Dont burn leftovers make brushpiles. this produces cove and gives vine growing browse a place to produce. Keep it simple!