Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question about sandy soil and rye

Old 09-27-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Question about sandy soil and rye

I realize I have waited to long to do this but that is beside the point now. I am planting small plot of rye in a wooded area that lies beside a creek. In extreme rain (ivan) this area floods and as a result there is a sandy consistancy to the soil. I have not had a ph test done, but was wondering if there is a basic pattern that runs with different types of soil. For example do sandy soils usually require lime/fertilizer/more water/etc. This is a heavily shaded area will this effect things. Are there other types of vegetation that may work better/same. The land I hunt has no fields/open areas that can be planted. Any thoughts suggestions are appreciated. I live in GA if that matters.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question about sandy soil and rye

First of all, welcome to the board. Often times you just have to do the best you can with what you have. Nothing wrong with planting a sandy type soil area, just have to cross you fingers about getting a little rain. You don't say how big your plot is, but you should be able to get a huntable spot even without lime. A number of our plots are sandy soil and havn't ever been limed, although they would be better if they were. Do a quick measurement about the size plot you have and apply your fertilizer and seed accordingly. I might plant the rye, wheat and oats mixture rather than pure rye.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:14 PM

Thank you for the welcome to the board, just found it and its great. As to the size of the plot I would say it will be about 50X50 feet, could be larger, could be smaller-what would you say the minimum needs to be. Also There is a heavily used trail beside the area I intend on planting, is this wise or should I try to stay further away. You would not happen to have the amounts of seed/fertilizer needed for a given area. Can it hurt to put lime down if soil does not need it. Sorry for all the questions but this is new to me, really using this as a test for future plots. Thanks for the advice
Old 09-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes welcome aboard buckdeer -

It would be tough to "overlime" in most areas - its probably not a problem - but it might not be needed either - Rye will grow well in even acidic soils.

Nitrogen is usaully the big demand in sandy soils. Excess rains cause N to leach out. - Sometimes it gets deeper than the plant can reach with its roots. So on sandy soil - wihout knowing anything else - I'd recommend a couple 100 lbs of a general fertilizer with a Nitrogen component - like 20-20-20 or 15-15-15 - Rye doesn't need too much. And if Ivan effected your plans - you not too far north to plant Rye - even still.

good luck
FH
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Yes welcome aboard buckdeer -

It would be tough to "overlime" in most areas - its probably not a problem - but it might not be needed either - Rye will grow well in even acidic soils.

Nitrogen is usaully the big demand in sandy soils. Excess rains cause N to leach out. - Sometimes it gets deeper than the plant can reach with its roots. So on sandy soil - wihout knowing anything else - I'd recommend a couple 100 lbs of a general fertilizer with a Nitrogen component - like 20-20-20 or 15-15-15 - Rye doesn't need too much. And if Ivan effected your plans - you not too far north to plant Rye - even still.

good luck
FH
I'm sure that you meant to say "a couple hundred pounds per acre" our poster is referring to a a 50' x 50' plot.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

a couple hundred pounds on a 50x50 plot would be major overkill and do more damage than good. Read the label on your fertilizer package to get amounts needed. A triple 19 would be a good ratio to use. If your real sandy, moisture retention will be a major factor in getting roots established. If you have access to some manure, spread some out in the area to help hold moisture. Any lime added will RAISE your soil ph. It takes months though for lime to react with soil in a raising/lowering ph situation.Taz
Old 09-29-2004, 10:46 AM

It is true that nitrogen tends to leech out in sandier soil but i would get the land soil tested. On our worst quarter of land here we have grown some dang beautiful rye crops with very little fertilizer. Our soil test this year on all the land called for very little N, we had a drought year last year so the plants did not utalize all the N. We did not need to apply anhydrous ammonia this year, just put on some dry N through the drill. In lighter land i would suggest harrow packing the soil, it will draw the moisture up and then seal it off, really seems to work for us.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend a couple 100 lbs
Yep - I meant "per acre"

Were we really talking about 50ft x 50ft? I'm sorry - Thats about 1/174th of an acre so divide my numbers by 174.

Thanks
FH
Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, going to plant a mix this weekend with a bag of fertilizer. Will post some pics in a couple of weeks to show progress(if any) Thanks again