Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spring planting

Old 09-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spring planting

I'm trying to get a jump start on my plans for my plots this spring. Right now I have a 1/4 acre in Biologiv clover plus. A half acre of Shot Plot and a 1/4 acre of green patch plus. I'm trying to figure out what to plant in the spring in the 3/4 acre that is annuals. I still have some weed problems some I'm wanting to plant something that will give the deer something to eat, but still allow me to either mow or spray to continue thinning out the weeds. What do you guys suggest?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spring planting

The weeds wont winter over, plow it early in the spring and seed it in corn or soybeans, beans would be a lot easier and you could sow them on with a spinner seeder and work then m in the ground, Plant roundup ready , then weed control would be easier . Enpugh seed for that plot would cost about $28.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know RR bean would be a great way of having a plot and being able to control weeds with spraying but I live in Illinois and beans and corn are everywhere Spring through Fall. I was hoping to plant something else to give the deer another choice.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Titleist, how is your shot plot and green patch plus looking?? I planted a couple of small plots with the same stuff. One week later the shot plot was up about 1/4 inch but the green path plus (mainly wheat) was not up yet. The buck oats I planted at the same time were 2 inches already.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

As of last weekend ( a week after planting), there was very little starting to come up. We've didn't get any rain last week. But this week I think we've had a few tenths. So hopefully everything is starting to come up a little better. I let you know how it looks after I go check it this weekend.