Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

question about oats

Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 PM

Default question about oats

Im planning on planting some kind of oats this fall, and was considering Buck Forage Oats, then I read on here that BFO is the same thing as Coker 227 oats, is this true?? Now, I called my local feed and seed stores and asked if they had Coker 227 oats and they say they havent heard of them, they said the only thing they can get is Forage Master Oats, and Jerry Oats? What are these kinds of oats and should I just use one of those types, or just order the BFO. I plan to mix some other seed with it like rye, chckory, wheat and maybe a little clover. Please help me
Old 08-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question about oats

I think a lot of numbers and names of varieties are localized. I used to seed lawns and in the trade magazines I have read of grass varieties that I had never heard of and when I called these companies " oh that wont grow in Delaware" . So now I sell Delkab seed corn and check in the national pamphlets and see varieties that we dont even sell in this area, I never grew oats, but for winter feed try rye or wheat, see how that works for you....
Old 08-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I liked the BFOats I planted, but am not sure if they are the same thing as the Coker. The BFOats aren't but about $7 more a bag, so try a couple of bags and see for yourself.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM

If you want try an experiment, get some jerry oats and BFO and plant next to each other and see what one the deer prefer. I bet u that they will mow both down with reckless abandon. I tried this with a mix of ladino clover and IWC and the deer dident seem to care who sold the seed they just love eating it all.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 PM

www.seedland.com has 227 oats for 13.50 #50lbs.... Thats probably 1/2 the price of bfo. If you are looking for any kind of seed variety, run a search in google and all sorts of info comes up. Hope that helps
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM

To get that 25# order to MN, will cost you $10.00 shipping or more. If you can get it locally, better grab it.

Russ
Old 08-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up 100 pounds of washed purina oats at the local feed store for $15. I will try that first and see how the deer respond before I spend any more than I have to.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM

well i did it,, i ordered my oat seed from th feed store, and went with some regular winter oats. They told me when i ordered them they were 12.50 a bag and i had to promise to take them since it was a special order, well i sent my wife to pick them up with some other seed, adn they charged her 22.50 per bag, so she didnt get the rest of my seed, i havent gotten to talk to the person who orders it, but ive got a few things to say to them when i get ahold of them. Hell i could have just gotten the buck forage oats for that price.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 AM

Angus check with Steve West in Steelville. West Lime and Fertilizer. He usuall carries oat a lot cheaper than that.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:43 AM

Sharkey ,, hey thanks for the info,, i called MFA back and found out there was a major pricing problem, they were actually 9.75 a bag and they refunded the rest of my money with an apology.. by the way are you close by the steelvlle area?? im between salem and steelville.

Quick Reply: question about oats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.