Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need some advice

Old 08-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Need some advice

This will be my first year planting a food plot so i have a few questions.First let me tell you what i have.My plot is on a bench in the big woods i've cleared some trees out and get alittle over 4hrs of sun on my 1500 sq ft plot.I did a soil test and it came back with a 5.2 PH so i tilled in 360lbs of pelletized lime and prepared my seed bed.I bought a bag of buck forage oats,a bag of secret spot and i'm thinking of getting some winter wheat.My first question is i called b.f.o. up and they told me i needed to disc or till in the seed to a 2" depth, is there any other way i can plant the seed?I dont have a disc and they tiller is a big chore to load/unload and get 2 miles back to my plot.My next question is i have triple 13 fertilizer,when is the best time to put it down,before i plant,when i plant,or after i plant?My next question is do you think i'm planting to much on my small plot.My plan is to plant a 1/3 in secret spot, 2/3rds in oats and maybe mix the wheat in with the two and around the outside edges.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.Dave
Old 08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need some advice

That isn't but .034 of an acre. You will have way too many seed if you plant all of that. You should be able to rake in a plot of that size if you have the seed bed already prepared. You can put out your fertilizer when you plant, just don't over do it. Later on if you need it you can broadcast some ammonite on top before a rain.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

HUNTERDP

Let me first say welcome - and I hope your plot brings you success.

The 360lbs/acre of lime = about 5 tons/acre - which is probably about right for what you needed to get the PH up. The 13-13-13 is probably a little more than you need - I would not put more than 50 lbs on the site - and realistically 25 lbs is probably enough. 50 lbs of 13-13-13 on 1500= 195lbs/acre of N-P & K - which is more than enough - even assuming that none is residual - which there likely is. If you put too much down, it will kill the sprouts at germination .

BFO - is a good choice for a first plot - even if it is a small one. It will grow in the fall when the leaves fall off - in fact it will thrive through Oct in most northern areas. personally -I wouldn't waste my time on Secret Spot. - The BFO will germinate laying on top of the ground, but the seed stands a MUCH better chance if covered. While 1-2" might be "perfect" its not that big a deal - I'd rake it in. Or - since the plot is small - you might get a bale of straw or two - and cover it like a lawn.

Plant any time After 8-20 and you should have a good , small fall plot.

good luck

FH
Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 PM

Thank you for your advice.I have a few more questions.I'm planning on broadcasting 4lbs of the oats on my plot (1lb=460sq ft)do you think thats good or would you overseed alittle.About the fertilizer would 10-10-10 be better,i already have a 40lb bag of it also does it matter when i fertilize i dont want to kill the sprouts.Thanks again.Dave
8/13/2004 9:30:37 PM Report Abuse | ID: 721016 [/quote]
Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you cannot cover it - I'd plant 2x the oats you should.
Alot of the seeds will not germinate, or will die off when top-broadcast. Cover it if you can - keep some aside and topdress the thin spots in a couple weeks.

10-10-10 or 13-13-13 makes no real difference - its how much per acre of N-P-K you need to worry about.

Keep in mind that the Numbers only mean the percentage of each component.

eg - 100 lbs of 13-13-13 = 13 lbs of N, 13 lbs of P & 13 lbs of K.
10-10-10 = 10 lbs of each per 100 lbs. A soil test usually tells how many lbs/acre to put down. Remember ther is 43560 square ft/acre for your calculations

FH
Old 08-15-2004, 08:16 PM

yes i plan on hand raking the seed and fertilizer in.I'm going to use 25lbs of 13-13-13 as you suggested and double the amount of seed to 8lbs.Thanks again.Dave
farm hunter,check your pms