Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

turkeys

Old 08-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Default turkeys

let me say we only deer hunt on the 150 acres we on.here is the problem the last 3 year we have planted food plot and put out our feeders to keep the deer feed and on our land but there is so many turkey's they tear up the plots and eat all the corn before the deer get's any benfit.do you have any suggestion how to keep them out without scaring away the deer.this is no joke i have seen as many as 28 turkey's at one time....thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkeys

Well - if you seriously have alot of turkeys, you should consider planting something that will benefit both turkeys & deer. For example - for the money you might spend in feed - you could plant a 1-2 acre clover plot that will feed the deer, and attract alot of insects that will feed the turkeys too.

While I know it has its upside, personally I'm not real comfortable with a feeder for deer. I understand that its is a good option for many, but I consider myself lucky to able to plant plots to accomplish a similar goal.

Turkeys are funny too - When they "key in" on a food source - the are single minded about it. On our property - it might be Ash seeds one week, then Wild Cherrys in October, Beech-nuts in November. When they switch - they sometimes never return to the former.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: turkeys

Set the timer just before dark. The turkeys will be on the roost, but the rats, coons, coyotes etc will eat the corn anyway.............