Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lime question

Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Lime question

Is it too late to lime our fields to benefit this fall's crop? I am planting clover. Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Lime question

I don not think that it is. I am not platning fall food plots until the middle of Sept, however I am in Texas. I think that you will be ok to lime.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Its not too late. Pelletized lime will work quicker and is easier to spread. It cost more than regular AG crushed lime - but this lime takes longer to affect the soil and can be much harder to spread.

You can spread the pelletized lime along with the Fertilizer when you plant your clover. The only thing you need to know is how much lime. Depending on the PH level (you need 6.5 to 7). If you don't know the PH level of your soil- just go with what Whitetail Inst recommends which I think is 2 tons per acre.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

TR you're right about about the lime but the 2 tons the Whitetail Institute recommends is a general recommendation. It's critical to soil test and determine, as you say, how much lime is necessary. It's so quick and easy to soil test. Don't try to guess when your hunting season may depend on it. By testing you can improve your chances of success by 75% or more if your soil is overly acidic.

If it requires lime and you're late in applying it. Add 30% more lime than the soil test calls for and throughly disk it in. Extra disking has seemed to be the difference for me. The more time I mix the lime the better the plot and the quicker the pH is corrected.