Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Feeder questions

Old 08-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feeder questions

I just bought a small feeder and have a few questions.
#1 If I put the feeder in a clearing, do I need to mow it often, or kill vegetation all together?
#2 If I put it in the woods do I need to remove leaves, etc.
#3 Whats the best feed to use?

I`ve been putting out a couple corn piles recently, but it is getting devoured Very quickly
by birds. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Feeder questions

I don't think you need to mow or do much under the feeder other than sickle down the real tall weeds. They will find them pretty quick and take care of anything in their way.

I put corn in mine during the Fall &Winter only. I used to do it all year, but it wasn't getting to the deer (mostly birds and small critters). I am not convinced that my deer use it much at all unless there is almost nothing for them. I check the feeder in the winter & find very few tracks. I've thought about switching to something that only or mostly would be consumed by Deer, but cost has always been an issue. I would be interested to hear what others are doing.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:17 PM

You can also use protein feed, which is made by Purina. I use this along with corn. You purchase the protein feed at any feed store. Also they have the feed that is moisture protected so it wont swell and clog your feeder!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:55 AM
etw

I didn't mow at all. The area around my feeders is plantless as a result of the "traffic".
Birds and other critters are good, IMO. In fact I put bird seed mix in and around my feeder. 1.) I like to watch the critters & birds. 2.) IMO having lots of critters around builds the deer confidence level. One of my feeders is about 20 yards from a pond. I had 20 + wood ducks waddle up from the pond to get to the corn etc. they were making lots of "content" racket when I shot my buck last year