Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sod busting - -

Old 07-27-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Sod busting - -

Okay mowed the brome grass down as low as possible and removed all extra grass - I have an old plow sleeve that works pretty well - and flips the sod over - After I plowed it I went over it with my disk harrow to break up the large pieces of sod - Is there any thing else I should try that might be faster or work better - I had to add a piece of railroad tie to the harrow to get it heavy enough - should I just keep dragging it with the harrow until the plot smooths out or try something else?

cdi3d
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sod busting - -

a few months ago i plowed under some standing green winter wheat, and got my field ready to plant sunflowers for doves.

the clods had to be broken up enough so that i could spray and work in some preplant herbicide. then i could plant the sunflowers with a 2 row planter.

it took 2-4 passes over the plowed ground with the disk to break it up good. i should have made one less pass. after i sprayed treflan, the label said it needed to be disked twice (the 2nd time in a different direction). so that's 4-6 passes over plowed ground.

i don't know what you are planting or if you are using a preplant herbicide. just remember that if you disk it too much, you will have a problem of crusting. i did.