Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spray on to enhancing existing forage?

Old 07-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spray on to enhancing existing forage?

An area I plan to hunt has a large area of rye bordering a corn field. I'm considering spraying something on the rye in the area around my stand sight, to make it more attractive to deer.

Any thoughts to what I can use that would work well and not cost a fortune? Miracle grow or similar?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spray on to enhancing existing forage?

I've never heard of any magic spray Rangeball. You might consider mineral licks but if there's water cover and food the deer can't ask for much more.

Dan O.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball,

Maybe I misunderstood - but rye growing right now will NOT be attractive to deer this fall, no matter what you apply. If you have rye growing now, the crop should be mature by late August, and the farmer will harvest it.

A September planted Rye crop is what you want - and you should not need to add anything. If the soil is poor, a boost of nitrogen might help a little.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I'll have to keep my eyes on it. Chances are what's there now is what was planted last fall. It was green and lush mid November. Hopefully the farmer will harvest it and start over, will have to see. If not perhaps that works in my favor, and he'll let me re-do just an acre or so around my stand...

Assuming he does start from scratch and I have acres and acres of the stuff to spread the deer out, possibly nitrogen will make the area I want more succulent? I know from experience deer seem to focus on the most lush and tender areas of fields and food sources, so I'm hoping to take advantage of that habit...