Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover/Lespedeza and Brush control

Old 06-13-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Clover/Lespedeza and Brush control

This spring I planted Red Clover and Kobe Lespedeza on trails and in timber openings. Most of this was in areas that had enough light to grow some grass. Here are a couple observations:

I had rain shortly after seeding. Seeding was done the First week of April. Clover emerged within a week. Anyplace clover seed hit the ground in grass, it germinated and has done great. Most of the grass is Fescue.

Clover and lespedeza that fell in leaf litter has been marginal at best.

Lespedeza clearly germinates at higher soil temperatures but it has responded much the same as the clover.

In some areas I need to expand the openings and reduce the level of Osage orange and Locust trees. I have been extremely impressed with basal bark treatments using Diesel fuel and Remedy. The small locusts...up to 3 in diameter...showed yellowing in one week and have totally defoliated in two. The largest Locusts I treated were 8 to 10 in diameter and after two weeks they have begun to yellow. Same general results on hedge just taking longer for the activity to show.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clover/Lespedeza and Brush control

Have the deer been eating the Lespedeza? I'm sure they eat the red clover - but was curious on the rest.

Sonds like the planting went well.. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:08 AM

The deer and Turkeys are loving it from all I can tell. The lespedeza comes on slower than clover and will grow best when its too hot for the clover. The reason for the mix is twofold...Lespedeza will grow where clover will not. pH is not critical to lespedeza. Lespedeza is a fall grower and seed producer, clover is spring so you have two shots at good seed production to maintain your legume mix, and Lespedeza will still be excellent forage for deer clear up to and past frost.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:07 AM

I planted some lespedeza as a companion crop to some cool season grass in a pasture a few years back and deer were in there regularly in later summer. Like Wooddust stated, it will come on strong a little later in the growing season and may be more palatable when clover has slow down its growth due to summer weather. On a sidenote, clover will out produce lespedeza in total tons/acre. There are several improve varieties out there now as well.