Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Logging to improve browse production?

Old 05-16-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Logging to improve browse production?

How many years does it take for a hardwood stand to reach peak browse production following selective cutting? I know there are numerous variables in this such as geographic location, climate, rainfall, etc., but generally speaking? I am wondering about the states in the northeast such as Vt, NH, Ma, NY. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:26 AM

Default RE: Logging to improve browse production?

location is the main thing,in the south (Fla.) it is the second year.they come into the cuts the first year,but the second is great.
that is the first place I hunt after the cutting starts.I know in the south things grow a lot faster.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that location and the type of trees may make a big difference. The first year, depending on what part of the year that the timber is harvested it is pretty common to see deer in the clearcut. Funny story, a couple of years ago I had a logger cutting some timber with a chainsaw on some uneven terrain and the tree leaned back on the saw pinching it and he had to stop the cut. He left the saw running and walked up the hill to a skidder to get some help and when he walked back to the tree there was an 8 point smelling the running saw. People who say that logging runs the deer out of the area are very mistaken.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on so many variables like you said it would be impossible to make a meaningful predition as ot "peak" browse production. I'm not sure what you mean by "peak". But I can tell you that depending on when and if you burn after the selective cutting you could see forage production begin as soon as the first fall if there is warm enough temps. But typically the 1st and 2nd spring are the best times for forbs and initial grasses.