Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Annual Ryegrass

Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Annual Ryegrass

I went to a seed company and was talking food plots. One of the guys gave me his list of wildlife seed for sale. He has every typical kind of blend brassicas, clovers, yadda yadda. He also has pictures of his planting for the last several years. His plantings were in northcentral minnesota. He told me that bar none the deer pound his annual rye grass over the clover and brassica, beens, peas etc. He said he plants it in late july. The variety of rye he uses in his plots is King Annual Rygrass. I did a search on google and found it to be a excellant source of nutrition.. Has anyone else had this kind of results with a variety of annual ryegrass?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Annual Ryegrass

I'm glad to see you asking the right questions.

Annual Rye grass is a GREAT fall plot. Sometimes its called a KILL Plot, because it does attract deer from first frost, until the snow is 6"+ deep. As a result many people plant annual rye grass as a carbohydrate source - and ATTRACTANT plot in the fall. (Cereal Grain - not to be confused with perenial Rye-grass - like in your lawn),

The deer will ignore the plot the other 7-9 months of the year, expept maybe to bed in occaisionally, when headed out.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:03 AM

I will probabaly give it a try in a small section of my food plots. From my research it grows tremendously almost anywhere. Its also a great sourse of protien also. I need to quit watching that sportsmans channel, I am thinking whitetails 24/7.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:23 AM

I often plant rye in a combination with oats and wheat in late summer for a kill plot. It will almost grow anywhere as long as it has the moisture.