Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover in Oats ???

Old 05-09-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Clover in Oats ???

I have a 3 acre patch of oats that is already 2 feet tall. My question, is this too tall to broadcast Ladino Clover in it? Would this be too much shade, or will the seed still germinate and grow? We are expecting some rain in a few days and I thought I would spred the seed just before the rain starts. I just acquired the use of the land where the Oats is planted. The previous user was not maintaining the land to the owner's satisfaction.
(20 acres, his loss, my gain.)

Russ
Old 05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Clover in Oats ???

Your timing is off. It's much too late to plant ladino clover in MS. Also, your chances of getting a stand without ground prep is not good. Another thing to consider is pH.

Take a soil test now add lime if necessary, now. Wait until fall to plant. Disk your soil add oats if you want them but if your planting as a companion crop to clover drop the seeding rate to about 40 pounds per acre level the ground and add the clover, keep the clover on the soil surface or within 1/8" of the surface.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ; If the oats were planted thickly as for just the oat crop the clover probably won't catch. Also; how would you spread the clover seed and incorporate it into the soil?

Dan O.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Russ, unless you can be guaranteed rain all summer and temps well below average for MS (MS is Mississippi I think) A plot top dressed right now has maybe a 2% chance of survival. Maybe right now in Canada but not is Miss.

According to the weather channel your temps are above 90 degrees and no sign of rain. Forget it right now for your wallet's sake.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:16 AM

It's raining right now, and they call for more rain for the next 3-4 days. I may hand spred sporadically through part of the Oats, at least to see if this might work on a larger scale later.

Russ
Old 05-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

If it works let me know.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:02 AM

Pop, I just checked the Oats, and there are tiny Clover plants coming up. Have to get down close to see them. I have had rain the last 7 of nine days on the Oats, some of it quite heavy which gave me good soil contact. One question, will the deer graze on the Oat seed when it ripens?Or just birds. By the time I get a killing frost (maybe middle Nov.) the Clover should be well established. I just took control of the land where the Oats are planted and could not seed it any earlier. The 1/2 mile lane back to this field is a quagmire. (4 wheel Mudders would love it, but it makes it hard to get equipment back) Of the 20 acres, there are 2 8 acre fields, and all I have been able to do is bushog both of them. (excluding the Oats.) It is separated from our land by a creek. At least the Clover will be hid from the deer until it gets established.

Russ
Old 05-18-2004, 01:10 PM

Correction, It's pouring down again, that makes 8 out of 10 days. Started mowing after the dew dried off, Got a half acre done with the tractor, then everything got wet except what I was sitting on. Can't make speed to the house on a tractor.

Russ