Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tecamote

Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tecamote

I was wondering what everbody thinks about Tecamote seed ecspecially Lab Lab Plus?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Tecamote

Read the NAHC thread, Bone to pick.

Russ
Old 04-27-2004, 05:09 PM

I have atleast 100 acres of Tecomate lab lab irregated year around. From the months of March-August I will normally have around 200 acres of Tecomate food plots scattered through out the ranch.

Needless to say, I really like the stuff. We've got 140" class 3 1/2 year old bucks running around, just about all the yearling (1 1/2 yold) bucks have 6-8 points. The bucks that frequent the food plots definelty are far more superior then the other bucks that are the same age, but who do not visit the tecomate plots.

On the ranch, a buck that shows trophy potential will not be hunted until he is 6 1/2. So when you have a good age structure plus good habitat/food, you just cant go wrong.

The only bad thing about Tecomate is the price. The seed cost $50 per acre to plant (that dosent include labor or the price of diesal lol). But since the Tecomate office isint to far from me, I just drive down there with a goose neck trailer and pick it up, its cheaper that way. Plus when you buy in bulk you get a discount.

Tecomate is the only "name brand" seed that I will buy, the other stuff is a waste of time.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 AM

I bought some this year and planted it. I also got the percentages of each seed that is in the bag and went to the co-op and bought a bunch more seed and mixed it. There is two problems with doing it like I did. Tecomate uses two types of Soy Beans and most Co ops only sell one. Second, Co Ops usually only sell in 50# bags, so most of the time you get more than what you want. To be honest, maybe I seeded a little heavy with the Tecomate but I didn't find that it went anyway near as far as they said it would.

As far as cost, the Lab Lab and the purple hull peas are what cost in the blend. I am letting my plot grow now and once I see the performance of the Tecomate vs. the Co Op blend that I made, I will give you the results on performance and price.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm interested in your test as well Stone cold.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:18 AM

I should have pics coming in today from a friend that went up to the lease this weekend. I should also have information on how they are eating it.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 PM

I talked to the guy that went to check on the food plots. No pics due to the rain, but he said that the Tecomate food plots and my version of the Tecomate plot looks identical as of now. They are both 4 to 6 inches tall. It has been about two weeks since I planted so in another couple of weeks they should be real pretty.