Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spikes

Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Spikes

I am hunting with some older men and they seem to think that we should kill out the spikes i have heard that evern though a deer is only a spike this year it could become a lot better next
Old 03-31-2004, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spikes

If they want to continue to kill the future trophy bucks, then go ahead and shoot. Depending on genetics, food, health of does and the time of year the young buck is born some young bucks will have either spikes, four, six, other combinations or even more points their first year. 100% myth that "once a spike, always a spike."
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't shoot spikes if you are trying to increase the average deer's age for your population. Ranches in TX (Or similar) that routinely kill only 5yr+ bucks, may want to look at the spike issue, but for most of us - where a 2.5yr old is a "trophy" - PLEASE let the spikes walk.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:12 PM

it has been proven many time however that yearlings who are spikes end up smaller than the yearlings who have at least 4 points(forks).

edit: this doesn't mean that you want to shoot them no matter what however, as farm hunter stated above.

heres some links so you can determine for yourself:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve...inferior.phtml
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve...genetics.phtml
Old 04-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Once a spike...always a spike, is a pure myth. The only properties that may benifit by shooting spikes are CLOSELY monitored inclosures. I say closely because unless you remove all of your breeding aged inferior bucks, and have reached that point of success in your management plan, romovings spikes are not the priority.

Simply, in free-ranging whitetail herds the positive implications of producing an older-aged buck age structure far, far out weigh an supposed inferiority concerns. At the same time, even when studies have shown mature buck inferiority when they were spikes as yearlings, the differences may be 110 P&Y score, to 130 P&Y score...so, even the mature spikes were still larger than many guys shoot in a lifetime.

Some of those sames studies in TX have also shown that with drought conditions or poor habitat conditions exist, as many as 70% of the yearling buck class may have spikes. Harvesting every spike in that situation would virtually eliminate an entire age class. Here in the U.P., spikes make up about 50% of the yearling buck class....are they all inferior? and if not, which ones aren't?

Poor habitat
Lack of moisture
Late births
Poor mother condition/young mother
Harsh previous winter, either before birth, or before 1st birthday
Female suppresion

There are just so many reasons a spike may be a spike, that in free-ranging whitetail populations with high numbers, habitat degredations, poor buck age structure, and skewed sex ratios, and supposed inferiority is almost impossible to identify, and is extremely low on the priority scale...even if on the priority scale at all.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM

There are 7 other factors involved that determine a yearlings fisrt set of antlers besides genetics. Overall, contrary to past popular belief, spike bucks will often poduce quality racks given the time to age. Generally speaking, they will not show these imporvements til they are at least 3 years of age. Unfortunatly, for the most part, we kill most of our animals before they even have the chance to show their potential. This as with many other things has ben dispelled. As een in Texas where the buck to doe ratios are nearly perfect and the does are bred the first time arounf in their enclosures a spike might exemplify poor genetic capability but overall in wild populations this is not true. Visit the QDMA web site and you will find all the reason in the world to let those spikes walk. Lastly, Charlie Alsheimers largest buck in his enclosure was a late drop fawn and only had 3 inch spikes his first year. Now, that particuar animal, pushes B+C and has done so for manyyears. I am not saying that genitics do not play a part in an animals head gear growth potential. However, staticticallty the percentages are much smaller then previously thought that the "once a spike, always a spike" addage is even remotely close to being true. TGK
Old 04-02-2004, 05:39 PM

of course there are alot of factors in the wild, but the above studies were merely studying the affects of genetics, by keeping everything else constant. that being said, given everything else equal, the spiked yearling will be smaller than the forked yearling. but dont get me wrong, i'm not gunna start shooting every spike i see, and keeping a higher age herd is always desireable
Old 04-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on my experience where I hunt...the majority of the spikes are late born deer. This tends to happen alot where you have too many does. They are born late, and expend all they have to develop their bodies, leaving little left for their antlers the first time around. That same deer a year later could sport a nice rack, but you'll never know if you shoot him.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree 100% WV Hunter, I don't have the actual numbers, but the high majority of spikes are nothing more than late born fawns that if given time, have the potential to grow to trophy size.