Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Converation Officer

Old 03-29-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Converation Officer

hi im am 15 and i was wondering if anyone could give me adivice on what coures i should take in grade 11 and 12 to become a Converation Officer? plz
Old 03-29-2004, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Converation Officer

You would be best to talk to a guidance counsellor but here is my sugestion. Its a good idea to keep your options open so take as many classes as you can. Take difficult subjects also because these are the ones that will benefit you the most. Decide where you want to recieve your training and contact the institute and see what the pre requasites for that course are.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I am a high school teacher. I suggest you take 4 years of science, 4 years of English, 4 years of math along with speech courses to excel as a CPO. It is no longer just going out and checking licenses!

Forensics now play a big part and the science and math will come in handy in handling evidence. The English and speech classes will help you communicate effectively as a CPO.

Some areas have Vocational Centers for Junior and Senior students. Check with your guidance person to see if they offer coursework in Law Enforcement at the AVC's in your area.

A love of the outdoors is important, but you must be thoroughly prepared to succeed. Good luck!

LLBUX
Old 03-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

not sure about your state but when i was a youngster in new jersey AND LOOKED INTO THIS CAREER.you needed a 4 year college degree and you had to go through the trooper academy. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 AM

The Conservation officers I am familiar with would happily sit down and answer that...and if you were in Missouri, a trip to Jeff City would get you all the information you need...Call your state conservation department, set up an appointment...believe me...even though you are 15, they would love talking to you and you will learn a lot.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:42 AM

sry forgot to mention this but i and from Vancover Island, Birtsh Coulmbia, Canada
Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 AM

Check out this link, it has general info on what is required.
conservation officer service
Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM

I'd look at where the courses are offered and which school you plan on attending. Then I'd get their subject content and start from there. Some colleges key on a forestry program, some may be forestry and one year fish & wildlife, and some may be fish & wildlife related courses only. Maybe talk to the administrators and ask what they recommend you take before entering their college. Then I'd go one step further. If its a Fish & Wildlife career only you're interested in, then find out what the requirements are in getting that position after graduation. (Assuming you're looking at a job in BC). You can be guaranteed there'll be one big waiting list. Upon graduation, you may end up fighting forest fires for the BC gov't. Find out if you can eventually transfer from that field (or any other related field) into F & W. A lot of guys get discouraged at this stage, but its far better to be working at forest fires or parks or timber, waiting to get that foot in the door, than getting discouraged waiting for a job opportunity that may never come.