Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Harrows

Old 03-29-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Harrows

I have used the harrow in making food plots in the past. I mainly used it to get all the debris and grass out of the plots after the ground has been broken.

Do you guys use a harrow? I was looking into buying one but as everyone knows, equipment isn't cheap. Does anyone else use something else besides a harrow to to this type of job. In other words, what is the cheapest route to do this?

Is there a place to purchase one that is cheaper than the rest?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Harrows

i bought a slightly used 5' disk from an implements dealer for $350 delivered to my place. $350 isn't that much when i considered that i'll probably be using it for 20+ years. that's about $15/year, and the benefits derived from it are worth much more than $15 to me.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:29 PM

stone cold u can pick up sections of diamond tooth harrows pretty cheap. Not too many farmers use them anymore so you might be able to get a few sets off an old farmer. Get yourself 4-5 sections and lay them out horizontally, then chain them to a horizontal bar of some type. Then hitch up the bar to your quad, tractor etc. But you should be able to find an old set of diamond tooth harrows pretty cheap out there someplace.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

This may sound ghetto, but we took some 6x6 section of chain link fence and nailed it to a square section of 4x4's we made w/ fence post nails and it works good for something virtually free. We'll be upgrading soon though. I'm sure it's not as good as the real thing.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:39 PM

I did the same with chain link fence but used 3 pieces of 3/4 conduit wired to the front, back and center. Made a loop to fasten under my trailer ball, run a small piece of chain thru it twice (if you don't loop it twice it will slide around) and fastened to the fence ends. Keep it back a bit or it will try and climb your back tires. It usually has enough weight to cover seed, but you can add weight if you don't think it is covering enough. One nice thing, you can roll it up and carry it on your back rack.

Russ
Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 AM

I use a set of old bed springs and they work like the chain link does you can add weight to them as well
Old 05-04-2004, 06:44 PM

Tractor Supply or Northern Tool if you are looking for new stuff. I would check out the countryside and see if you can't find a farmer with a bunch of rusty implements behind his barn. A lot of small farms don't use the old equipment. terry