Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sedge

Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Sedge

Has anyone here ever encountered sedge in there food plots. It kind of looks like a grass but is not as it differs in character from grass. Sedge has a triangular blade on it as opposed to grass which is flat and will have a fold. I have taken a sample to my local conservation office only for them not to be able to help me with treatment.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sedge

What brand of seed have you been planting???? Sounds like you got some weed seeds in that bag with the deer on the front??????
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it, but its never been a pest for me.

here's a link for those who want to see it.

http://www.betterlawns.com/betterlawns/June99/blg_4.htm

Its an interesting plant, but not worth a ?*&^^ in a food plot. Good luck Cleeby, let us know how you make out.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the net site FH. I have no desire to let this thing overrun my food plots. I have a guy coming to my office today that is the local Ag rep from Penn State. He knew a whole lot about this as many farms in this area have sedge also. Problem with this is that if you plow ar disc to get rid of it it spreads more as you cut its root system up.

1Sag - I don't use any of the commercial market driven seeds, just plain ole Agway for me. Why pay so much more for a blend you can make yourself.

I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks once again for your replies.

Kevin C.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

sedges generally grow in wetter areas, but can grow in better soils (nutsedge in corn, for example)

try your local extension office
Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 PM

I have been told that it is a sign of poor soil,maybe you should do a soil check to see if you are lacking in something.Hope you get rid of it.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will post updates in the future with my battle so that anyone else encountering the same problem can benefit.

Kevin C
Old 03-20-2004, 04:59 AM

Clee...."sedge" doesnt give enough information....Basically you probably hae either yellow or purple nutsedge or BroomSedge...they are totally different.

If you have Nutsedge, then its probably a wet area....Great place to plant Chufa...Chufa is related.

If its Broomsedge, then you can't spray it away but you can eliminate it by applying Lime to get soil up to test and apply phosphate...Broomsedge is a sign that PH is out of wack and Phosphate levels are low.