Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

If you had one choice of seed to plant

Old 03-23-2004, 06:58 AM

Default RE: If you had one choice of seed to plant

NorthJeff,

Thanks for the information. I got some new information on my plots. See the post My Clover Plot...Cont.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:47 AM

StoneCold..Ill wade in anot bash your enthusiam at all...

3 acres...very nice plot size if you have the equipment to do what you are planning

Im in the forage business, so I have some real issues with claims. For example, the 39% protien claim...well thats pure silly hot air if you don't have some more information...at what stage of growth was the sampole taken? Did they take a sample of old common red clover at the same time? Or Ladino?...see its a number given to sell seed that is done in a vaccum...in other words 39% may be accurate but is that more or less than 80 cent per pound red clover?

You have gotten a lot of the clover message here...but you had poor results with your clover attempt. I have no idea what it takes to grow clover in Louisianna. We tend to think we can do anywhere what we do at home...well, thats not true. We dont have many peanuts grown in Missouri and no Cotton is grown in Michigan...so my red clover results probably wont be yours in Louisianna. In Missouri, we do whats called frost seeding...literlly, scatter seeds broadcast in late February/early march...and in two weeks we have emerging clover. So if you get a lot of feedback on how easy it is to grow clover...well consider we all have different conditions. I would call a local cattle man and ask him how he plants his legume hay.

On the high dollar mixes vs local seed sources....it is your call. But..before you go overspend, think about that local hay grower...he is not making a living being ignorant..and he may be the best friend you ever had in terms of solid advise based on local conditions. One issue I have with "wildlife blends" is that these outfits have a map on the bag that says it can be planted from Florida to Southern Ohio at the same time...HOGWASH...samre with northern mixes...they say Missouri and Michigan are the same...Find me someone in Michigan who had 55 degree weather the last week of February.

No idea how buckwheat will do but if it grows you wont be able to keep deer out!

Chicory in a mix may be fine...but we have problems with chicory as a weed in Missouri so Id rather be slapped up side the head than plant chicory...your call..

So bottom line....do what you think is right. On 3 acres you won't go broke. I would do no more than 3 sections personnaly..maybe just 2 with a goal of establishing a perrenial or annual reseeder like red clover that I can overseed in late summer with the brassica mix ( its just Rapeseed or Canola) and maybe toss in a bit of forage turnips (they are not old purple tops like we plant in a garden). But make that effort to find a local hay grower before you go too far.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:11 AM

Default and one more thing

I love marketing...I just wish I was smart enough to come up with some of this stuff...I had to look up TrophX...all I can say is WOWZERS!!! Check this out...These are just personal opinions and a lifetime of being one who questions claims.....

TrophX is a post emergent foliar application that is absorbed through a plant's leaf system. This enables the plant to produce up to 30% more foliage and nutrients, and taste sweeter and more palatable.

Gotta love this...up to 30% more...compared to what? If farmers ever hear about this, we have solved the world food and starvation issues!!

TrophX is also a seed treatment designed to speed up germination and give your seed that "quick kick" out of the ground. OK...follow this now...Its a foliar plant stimulant as well as an effective seed treatment? Is it a fertilizer? Or a fungicide? Maybe its a "soil enzyme activator? Who knows since the ingredients are no doubt super secret...

On-staff agronomists and plant nutritionists agree that pre-planting treatments with TrophX is necessary for a plant to achieve its maximum potential. Yepper, boys use this on the seed, plus on the plants foliar every 30-45 days...(called a volume strategy!) What do agronomists and plant nutritionists who are not on staff think?...what is a plant nutritionist anyway?

Create your own deer magnet with TrophX! TrophX can also be used as a mast tree stimulant. It is specially formulated to encourage faster growth, increase food production, and produce a better taste. Now we are cooking!! It works on seeds, annuals, perrenials, stimulates germination, more forage, better taste...and Now....ZOUNDS...it makes Oak trees set more nuts that taste better. Look out world!! I'd be careful with this stuff, you may be stampeded by trophy bucks tring to get to the area you spray.

Ok Im being a total butthead I know...but Im always amazed when I see this stuff. Heck it may actually do something good. But it would sure be nice to see some University data to support the claims made. Guys...proper fertility and timing of the samples taken will increase forage protien content, sugars are produced in all plants and phosphate is the element that will increase sugars in the plant. Palatability is dependent on the species of plants. Just like for animals and people. What stage of growth is an apple palatable...or a spear of asperagus? Its no different with grass or legumes for cattle or deer. Secret sauces won't change the fact that some plants taste better at different times of their life cycle...Use sound agronomics and common sence...and look for third party data to coroborate the claims people make.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: and one more thing

OK WOODDUST, there is actually a lot I agree with on recent post. Especially plants only being effective at a certain time or most attractive to deer. Being the plant is at a certain stage in its growth, that appeals at that time. Ok now, we (my dad) also use Agreene organic lime, fertilizer and pot ash to spray on our plots. We also use good ol' bags of powdered lime, for initial plots that require it only. And I know it has taken 3 to 5 years to clear out a wooded mess and turn it into a healthy ph food plot. So unleash your input on the Agreene Products????
Old 03-25-2004, 06:43 AM

Default RE: and one more thing

No problems here with "organic fertilizer"...plants dont care where the Phosphate came from...its phosphate....(all phosphate, lime and Potash is organic....they mine it from the earth like coal)...and Lime is lime...so you should get same results from a pound of your lime or a pound of lime from the quarry...its mined too...so its organic.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Any of the above will work. Deer are just looking for a green salad bowl.