Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Distribution in PA

Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck Distribution in PA

For anyone out of PA. The PGC is doing a study on what happens to the bucks in PA. They capture and radio collar bucks of different ages and find out where they go, how many survive etc.

I went yesterday to the PGC web page under wildlife/ deer and then the buck study. Was very interesting reading.

Especially the part about how far bucks travel from their Natal ranges to establish new territory. Most were in the 7-15 mile range!!! One even went 26 miles!!

Some interesting reading. Makes me wonder if all my time effort and $ in putting in food plots and trying to manage the deer for better quality is all worth it??? When the button bucks are going that far away anyway.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buck Distribution in PA

If you remove a buck, you want a nice environment for the next buck that moves through the property so he will stay. If the environment is nicer that your neighbors, will a larger buck on your neighbors property chase away a smaller buck on your property? I don't know this answer to this questions, but it does seem to me that it would probably happen. Even if the larger buck doesn't chase the smaller buck away, he may visit your property often.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I am by no means an expert. But to my way of thinking, you will also have BB's from the surrounding areas come onto your property and if at all possible, set up housekeeping. The important thing to remember is that, as long as your property is attractive to deer ie plenty of food and cover, the deer and yes the bucks will be there also. Its not important for the bucks that are born on your property to not dispearse, its just that your tract of land must be attractive to deer in general. "If you build it, they will come."
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Hey Greg - Read the fine print - PSU Studies show Avg Dispersal in the two counties of study were 5 miles in one and 4 miles in the other. Still opens your eyes.

Cleeby