Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Pumpkins for deer

Old 02-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Pumpkins for deer

I have a wildlife area that I planted consisting of a clover food plot and several varieties of trees and shrubs. This is area is approximately 5 acres in size, located next to an oak woods surrounded with corn fields and a pond located on one side of the wild life area. Since the trees and shrubs are only a few feet tall, I was thinking of planting food rows between the trees. I read somewhere that deer love pumpkins. Is this true. I was thinking of planting pumpkins between the trees and letting them grow wild. I would like other suggestions of what can be planted for deer to feed on.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Pumpkins for deer

My experiece with pumpkins is that the deer will eat them---last. When everything else is gone they will go for pumpkins and it helps if you break them up. I've gathered some after Halloween and put them out and still had them mostly untouched into December. The easiest for me to plant is rye. Grows anywhere, deer like it, good green manure till you plant alfalfa or clover and is cheap. terry
Old 02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am not so sure about the last thing?? My uncle lost several pumpkin crops to deer. There was plenty of hay fields, etc. around but they destroyed his field of pumkins (approx. 10 ac.). They mature late (October) when normal forage is losing its nutritve values. They don't need help breaking them. They do just fine on their own - a couple kicks and, wah-la, pumking mush. they'll eat them up.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:00 AM

I heard other stories around here of deer hitting pumpkins hard as well. However, I would not plant them in your situation. Deer may need to learn to eat the pumpkins. Some cerial crop like rye, wheat, oats or even some alternate crop like soybeans, milo, corn, rape, cowpeas or something similar may be a better bet.

Deer also like sweet potatoes (yams), strawberries, as well as a host of other garden items. At the university I work on, we have a acre of research yams that always has some deer damage. They will eat the greens as well as dig up the yam itself.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if deer do like pumpkins, they are only available for a very short time - and at a time when food is relatively very abundant. I would concentrate my efforts elsewhere - From a "Quality" standpoint - it is best to offer food in quantity in the Heat of the Summer (August in most areas) and just Prior to Green-up (usually April).

If you want a plot to hunt over in the fall - plant Rye, Buck forage Oats, or winter Wheat.

If you are looking long term - plant clovers on 50-60% of plots, in addition to the winter feed -25% (like corn) and Fall "kill plots" 10-20%. You could throw some pumpkins in for fun, but I wouldn't base a management plan around them. I always have a "fun plot" each year - you can learn alot from these experiences.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Here in Pa I have never had any problems with deer eating pumpkins except when they first pop up. You may want to consider planting rows of corn, clover, alfalfa, in the strips. Although there are cornfields around the deer would like the protection of the bushes and when be in your field first.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:12 AM

I plant punkins each year to sell at the flea market.
I plant them in our hunt club.I have never had the deer eat any of mine.

there are tracks in the patch all the time , but the deer doesn't eat any.
They my would in late winter if I left them long enough.I pick them in late Oct. and early Nov.