Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Time To order trees

Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time To order trees

Dan O - FYI

those weren't seedlings

look to be at least 8 years old or more
Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses.

Dan - I like the size of those plantings too - I wish they were all that size - Trees that size make me impatient with the smaller nursery stock - heck the trees I'm planting in the picture will be taller than me this year - only a couple years later.

doughboysigep -

Thanks for the reminder of the Conservation District - I looked up the closest tree & srub sale to me and found one for Onondaga county - where the trees are picked up at the Fairgrounds in Syracuse - tomorrow I will see if I can order some Balsam Fir (sold out at the nursery already) and fraisier fir.

colomabuck - 14 yrs!!!!! very nice - you must be very pleased with the plantings you've been responsible for. After 14 yrs - Are some of the plantings "worry-free" - I mean Are they well established, and 10ft+??

This year when I plant, I plan to plant the windbreaks and strategic hedgerows I planned, but also I'm going to establish an area that I will call "the Nursery" where I will plant "extra" trees, closer together than normal - near the cabin. These trees will be destined to transplant at a later date when they are establishised, and considerably larger - Does anyone else do this?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:08 PM

Farm Hunter,
Trees I planted in 1990 are 25ft tall with a 7 to 8 inch trunk. In 2000 became a certified Tree Farm. It is nice to see the wildlife start using the woods. And gives our family a good feeling to give something back to nature. Last year was very hard on last 2 year seeedling due to long summer drought. This years trees are going to fill in where trees died due to drought. Go plant some TREES
Old 02-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks doughboysigep;

I'll try not to make that mistake again.

Dan O.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post FH.
We have a great program in Va also. Go to:

http://www.vdof.org/ and click on 'Tree seedlings'.

They will ship them right to you, as long as you are in the lower 48.

I've gotten trees the last 2 years and will be getting more this year. My little white pine seedlings from 2 years ago, some are already bushing out and over 2 ft tall. I can't wait for a couple more years
Old 02-16-2004, 07:41 PM

if you are serious about making a tree plantation you should put a electric fence around it or the deer will ruin it[:@]
here is what i did last spring 3000 white pine 1000 walnut