Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what to plant? standing water in spring

Old 02-02-2004, 11:34 PM
pup

Default what to plant? standing water in spring

i planted a little clover this last fall and we will see how it does in the spring, but i found this purfect spot for a food plot but it has quit a bit of standing water on it for awhile during run off maybe 2 weeks or a month. so my question is what can i plant in there? maybe like some kind of wheet i just plant after it dries up or is there somthign that can live through that water?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 AM

Default RE: what to plant? standing water in spring

How much water are you talking about here?
Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
pup

well its not like just a couple inches it look slike a pond maybe a foot or 2 but it is awesome top soil i was thinking maybe corn its prob a half acre medow would corn be a good choice?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

How about digging a small ditch though the low spots and drain much of the water before you plant?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 PM
pup

i wish i could do that but the problem is it is down in a bowl. is it to small of a area to plant corn in? if so what if i did it in half wheat and half corn that way they will be eating the wheat and leave the corn alone for the first while? it wont be my only food plot within a few hundred yars of there i will have ab out a 1 acre patch of alfalfa rack and a patch od wheat and a little further away a few patches of clover
Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 PM

If you experience yhay much water, Corn may drown out if it setsover it a few days. If you can't drain it suitably it may be a write-off. Curious, was this a pond years ago?

Russ
Old 02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
pup

well they way it is its kinda a low spot between a bunch of hills and as all the snow melts all thw water runs down there taking all the top soil with it so start in about early march it starts getting fun off on it and it had standing water till about and of april maybe early may but we cant plant corn or garden stuff till end of may or june first anyways because it might freeze
Old 02-03-2004, 09:42 PM

What about a clump of white cedar? It'll offer nearby cover for your food plots. Cedar takes to moist soils readily but the only drawback is its relatively slow growth.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 AM

This will be costly, but is there any way to divert the runoff into runways (terraces) or ponds?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Standing water in the spring is a problem. If the water stands two weeks or more most perennial plants will no do well. However, this may be the perfect place to do some plantings around the low area and plant some trees in the low area for bedding/shelter.

Quick Reply: what to plant? standing water in spring

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.