Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Kill this Buck?

Old 10-16-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Kill this Buck?

I' m on a posting roll today, so here' s another question for input.

A few weeks ago, I saw a 6 point (3 by 3) running with an 8 point. The 8 point while nice, was apparently younger and not the dominant deer. The 6 point had a nice spread, good mass, and long tines. I would judge this deer to be at least 4 years old but by no means claim to be an expert. The area had about as good rain and food conditions as it ever has - a very moist spring and summer.

If you were management minded, would you let this deer go or has he reached his points potential and should be taken? Thoughts?

I would prefer 8 points or better on the property.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kill this Buck?

Might wanna pass on this one... A definate fence rider.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:59 PM

I assume you' re talking about the deer.

If I understand you, then you' re saying let him walk as he might have potential for more points in the future even if he is in his later stages.

Let me know if I' m not reading you right.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:33 PM

Elkhair,

We have the same dilemma. We have a 6 pointer that sounds exactly the same. I would guess that he is three and half. We have decided to to take him. We don' t want him to be doing any breeding.

We are very strict in our QDM practices and we only shoot bucks that we would spend the money to mount. Which makes that about a 125 class or better. That, along with a good harvest of does. We have 300 acres that we hunt and try to take anywhere from 6-10 does. This year we are looking at 10 based upon our counts.

If he was a young buck it would be different. He may still have a chance, but this guy in my opinion will lead to other mature six points which is not what we want.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:11 AM

If the six is about 4 yrs and only a six point what makes you think he will get better, they reach there peak at 4.5 5.5 yrs most the time, he should already have a min of 8 pts if he was ever going to be anything, burn him down.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 AM

Doesn' t sound like there are any dissenting opinions as to shooting him. We' ll take him if he shows.

I am now remembering my first " big" buck. It was an old 6 point that we aged at 7+ years. While we hunted that lease over a period of 8 years or so, he was by a good margin, the heaviest deer taken on the place.

I guess a 6 is sometimes just that and if he' s mature he should be taken.

Really not a bad problem to have. Next weekend is a youth only weekend and I would love to see my daughter take him.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]