Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Dan O. Soil testor

Old 08-23-2003, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Dan O. Soil testor

Dan, The Hay field is ten acres with a 10 acre horse pasture to the south of it. The previous 2 years we had 10 ton put on it. (The pasture was done the same.) Prior to putting in t he clover plot, I split 1,000 lbs between it and 2 other plots. From the test I guess I should have put it all on the other plots. One plot, right in the center of the timber has done very well. It was a staging area when wehad Pines cut. I burned all the Pine needles, Oak leaves and the other residue. It' s doing real well, haardly any weeds (some Poke weed) and no grass. The other plot didn' t do well, lots of weeds and with a spell of hot, dry weather is almost gone. It' s in a good location but it will need a lot of work before I replant. I had planted a quarter acre of rec Clover beside the White where the test was taken. The deer have completely ate it up, I am now mowing that spot and only see a sprig here and there. Will disc and till it up and try some Austrian peas there. The local Coop has a 50 lb. bag for $15. Plan on putting down 3X13. That sound about right?
Russ
Old 08-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ; when you burn organic matter you end up with potash (K2O). This is very basic when it reacts with water, so if there was a large amount of residue you dosed with the potash on top of the lime. You' ll be able to grow pretty well any legume that you want on that plot and you shouldn' t need lime for several seasons.

Did the deer prefer the red clover over the white?

I' ve never planted peas for deer so you' ll need to get someone else' s input on that question.

Dan O.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:10 AM

Dan, great analysis my friend!

This exchange should demonstrate why a soil test is far preferable to a " testor" . A Testor cannot be calibrated nor can it against a known sample. There are pH testors that come with an need a buffering solution. Those that have just a probe are junk.

Also, adding lime is never an annual thing. You add lime to a test then monitor it once a year for a couple years to allow the lime to do its job.

Third you made the point on availability. Im not sure people understand the plants do not take up lime. The pH is an expresion of acid or base. That level determines how much p205 for example is available in the soil solution for plants to use.

ahhhh to go back to Soils 101 again

Oh...and for the record....soil is what we grow things in. Dirt is stuff in your carpet and under your fingernails.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:45 AM

Dan,
The deer walked through the White to get to the red. But now that the red is gone, they are working on the White. On the peas, My brother-in-law has planted them consistantly over the years, has tried about every deterant there is to keep the deer out. He loses over 3/4 of it to browsing. At his age (80+), he can' t run fast and the deer just stand there until he gets quite close. Only thing he hasn' t done is put up a high fence, but he' s too tight-fisted to go to the expense. My son-in-law has planted them with excellent results. Him & his wife were avid hunters, but his wife developed Crones disease (sp?). Now they are both vegetarians. Ironic, Huh?
Russ
Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wooddust; Calcium is required by plants to form cell walls. A 1,000 lb. crop of alfalfa will remove 13.91 lb. of calcium and 3.55 lb. of magnesium. I admit that the majority of the lime in soils is tied up in acid-base reactions but plants still need a fair amount to grow.

I always just wanted to be a dirt farmer, now you' re telling me that I' d have to change my title to soil propagater.

Dan O.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:33 PM

Dan...thats why its a micro nutrient from a fertlity point of view....13 pounds in a half ton of hay...and these guys are talking about adding 4- 7 tons per acre...